1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the cube root of 1 using Euler's formula

1. Aug 11, 2012 #1

lo2

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have found this video where there is this problem:

Find the cube root of 1

2. Relevant equations

I have found this video:

Where from 8:02 to the end she solves this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is why is she making such a big fuss about this? Is the cube root of 1 not just simply only 1? And if not could someone please explain what she is trying to explain?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

so we're looking for the value of z where [itex]z=1^{1/3}[/itex]
    if we cube both sides of this equality, we get [itex]z^3=1[/itex], which is equivalent to [itex]z^3-1=0[/itex]
    Can you factorize that expression?

4. Aug 11, 2012 #3
    It is not simply only 1 because it is not simply only 1. There are three different complex cubic roots of 1, and that's what is shown in the video.

5. Aug 11, 2012 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

You are true. Each polynomial function have a degree, and equal number of roots, whether real or imaginary. Cubic expressions always have 3 roots. So, there are 3 cube roots of 1. They are 1, ω, ω2. It can be found by simple quadratic as follows. I hope you know the identity of factorizing (a-b)3
    [tex]x^3-1=0\Rightarrow (x-1)(x^2+x+1)=0[/tex]

Solutions of the quadratic polynomial factor.
    [tex]x=\omega = \frac{-1-i\sqrt{3}}{2};x=\omega ^2=\frac{-1+i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

This can also be done by Euler's formula,
    [tex]z^3=e^{i2n\pi}\Rightarrow z=e^{\frac{i2n\pi}{3}}[/tex]

By putting n = 0, 1, 2 (3 will yield same result as 0, 4 as 1...)

[tex]z_1=e^{\frac{i0\pi}{3}};z_2=e^{\frac{i2\pi}{3}};z_3=e^{\frac{i4\pi}{3}}[/tex]

By the identity, [itex]e^{i\theta}=cos\theta+isin\theta[/itex], you get z1, z2 and z3

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  6. Aug 11, 2012 #5

lo2

Ok. I can follow you on the first way of finding the roots of the cubic root!

I am not sure I can follow why these two things are equal to each other could you please elaborate?

7. Aug 11, 2012 #6

eumyang

Homework Helper

AGNuke took the cube root of both sides, or raised both sides to the 1/3 power. However, there is an i missing in the result, so the equation after the right arrow should be:
    [tex]z = e^{i2n\pi/3}[/tex]
    This is not quite right, because the middle root written above is a cube root of -1, not 1. The three roots should be
    [itex]z_1 = e^{i \cdot 0\pi/3}[/itex]
    [itex]z_2 = e^{i \cdot 2\pi/3}[/itex]
    [itex]z_3 = e^{i \cdot 4\pi/3}[/itex]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  8. Aug 11, 2012 #7

AGNuke

Gold Member

Corrected!
    What you can't follow, that [itex]e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook