Finding the cube root of 1 using Euler's formula

In summary, the video explains how to find the cube root of 1 using the quadratic equation and Euler's formula. Homework statements can be found by solving equations for the roots of the cubic root.
lo2

Homework Statement

I have found this video where there is this problem:

Find the cube root of 1

Homework Equations

I have found this video:

Where from 8:02 to the end she solves this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is why is she making such a big fuss about this? Is the cube root of 1 not just simply only 1? And if not could someone please explain what she is trying to explain?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
so we're looking for the value of z where [itex]z=1^{1/3}[/itex]
if we cube both sides of this equality, we get [itex]z^3=1[/itex], which is equivalent to [itex]z^3-1=0[/itex]
Can you factorize that expression?

It is not simply only 1 because it is not simply only 1. There are three different complex cubic roots of 1, and that's what is shown in the video.

You are true. Each polynomial function have a degree, and equal number of roots, whether real or imaginary. Cubic expressions always have 3 roots. So, there are 3 cube roots of 1. They are 1, ω, ω2. It can be found by simple quadratic as follows. I hope you know the identity of factorizing (a-b)3
[tex]x^3-1=0\Rightarrow (x-1)(x^2+x+1)=0[/tex]

Solutions of the quadratic polynomial factor.
[tex]x=\omega = \frac{-1-i\sqrt{3}}{2};x=\omega ^2=\frac{-1+i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

This can also be done by Euler's formula,
[tex]z^3=e^{i2n\pi}\Rightarrow z=e^{\frac{i2n\pi}{3}}[/tex]

By putting n = 0, 1, 2 (3 will yield same result as 0, 4 as 1...)

[tex]z_1=e^{\frac{i0\pi}{3}};z_2=e^{\frac{i2\pi}{3}};z_3=e^{\frac{i4\pi}{3}}[/tex]

By the identity, [itex]e^{i\theta}=cos\theta+isin\theta[/itex], you get z1, z2 and z3

Last edited:
Ok. I can follow you on the first way of finding the roots of the cubic root!

AGNuke said:
This can also be done by Euler's formula,
[tex]z^3=e^{i2n\pi}\Rightarrow z=e^{\frac{2n\pi}{3}}[/tex]

I am not sure I can follow why these two things are equal to each other could you please elaborate?

lo2 said:
I am not sure I can follow why these two things are equal to each other could you please elaborate?
AGNuke took the cube root of both sides, or raised both sides to the 1/3 power. However, there is an i missing in the result, so the equation after the right arrow should be:
[tex]z = e^{i2n\pi/3}[/tex]
AGNuke said:
By putting n = 0, 1, 2 (3 will yield same result as 0, 4 as 1...)

[tex]z_1=e^{\frac{i0\pi}{3}};z_2=e^{\frac{i\pi}{3}};z_3=e^{\frac{i2\pi}{3}}[/tex]
This is not quite right, because the middle root written above is a cube root of -1, not 1. The three roots should be
[itex]z_1 = e^{i \cdot 0\pi/3}[/itex]
[itex]z_2 = e^{i \cdot 2\pi/3}[/itex]
[itex]z_3 = e^{i \cdot 4\pi/3}[/itex]

Last edited:
Corrected!
lo2 said:

What you can't follow, that [itex]e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta[/itex]?

1. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula, also known as Euler's identity, is an important mathematical equation that relates exponential functions and trigonometric functions. It is written as eix = cos(x) + i sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number.

2. How is Euler's formula used to find the cube root of 1?

In order to find the cube root of 1 using Euler's formula, we can rewrite 1 as e0 and then use the fact that the cube root of 1 is equal to e2πi/3. By substituting this value into the formula, we get e2πi/3 = cos(2π/3) + i sin(2π/3), which simplifies to -1/2 + i √3/2. Therefore, the cube root of 1 is -1/2 + i √3/2.

3. Why is Euler's formula useful for finding roots?

Euler's formula is useful for finding roots because it allows us to express roots of complex numbers in terms of trigonometric functions, which are easier to work with than complex numbers. This makes it possible to find the exact values of roots rather than just approximations.

4. Can Euler's formula be used to find other roots besides the cube root?

Yes, Euler's formula can be used to find any root of a complex number. The general formula for finding the n-th root of a complex number is e2πik/n, where k is any integer between 0 and n-1. This formula can be derived from Euler's formula and makes it possible to find any root of a complex number.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler's formula to find roots?

One limitation of using Euler's formula to find roots is that it only works for complex numbers that are in polar form. If the complex number is given in rectangular form, it must be converted to polar form before applying Euler's formula. Additionally, Euler's formula is only applicable for finding roots of complex numbers, not real numbers.