Finding the curl in spherical coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with finding the curl of a vector written in latex format. The person they are talking to is not familiar with latex and directs them to a guide for learning it. The person asking for help thanks them for the information and asks for further assistance in finding the curl of the vector.
tasleem moossun
Hello I've been having trouble finding the curl of
A⃗ = r^2[e][/Φ].
Could someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
tasleem moossun said:
A⃗ = r^2[e][/Φ].
Sorry, I'm not familiar with those symbols. Can you retype it using latex?

I'm very sorry I'm new here I'm not very familiar with latex here.
A⃗ = r^2[e][/Φ].
r^2 would be r squared
[e][/Φ] would be the unit vector of φ
:nb)

blue_leaf77 said:
Sorry, I'm not familiar with those symbols. Can you retype it using latex?
A⃗ = r^2[e][/Φ].
r^2 would be r squared
[e][/Φ] would be the unit vector of φ

Here you can find the formula for the curl in three curvilnear coordinates.
Somewhat lengthy but introductory guide to latex can be found here.

Likes xareu
##[A⃗] = r^2 \hat \phi##

No problem, many members here are also unfamiliar with latex, but I see you have put some times to learn it. That's a good start and ... latex is not so difficult.

Thank you for showing me how to use latex.Can you help me find the curl of this vector please?

Check the first link I provided in post #5.

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to specify the position of a point in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance, an azimuth angle, and a polar angle.

2. Why is it important to find the curl in spherical coordinates?

The curl is an important mathematical concept that represents the rotation or circulation of a vector field. In many physical and scientific applications, the curl in spherical coordinates is required to accurately describe and analyze phenomena such as fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and other vector quantities.

3. How do you find the curl in spherical coordinates?

To find the curl in spherical coordinates, you can use the curl formula in terms of spherical coordinates, which involves taking the partial derivatives of the three coordinate variables with respect to each other and then evaluating them at the given point.

4. What are the applications of finding the curl in spherical coordinates?

Finding the curl in spherical coordinates has numerous applications in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to study the properties and behavior of vector fields, which are essential in understanding many natural phenomena and developing new technologies.

5. Are there any challenges in finding the curl in spherical coordinates?

Yes, there can be some challenges in finding the curl in spherical coordinates. It involves converting between coordinate systems, which can be complex and require a good understanding of vector calculus. Additionally, the curl formula itself can be quite lengthy and involve multiple steps, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors.