1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the displacement of a braking car, with limited variables.

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car is travelling at 120km/h when it slams on the brakes. How long is the skid mark if the coefficient of friction is 0.62?(hint: convert km/h to m/s)

Given: initial velocity: 33.3m/s; final velocity: 0m/s; coefficient of fricition: 0.62

2. Relevant equations
    μ = Ffriction/Fnormal; a= Force/mass

3. The attempt at a solution
    Because of the absense of a time value, i'm finding it very difficult to use and displacement equation i've been given. I understand the the change in velocity (after being conversted to m/s) is 33.33m/s, but thats as far as i've gotten.

I was wondering is anyone could help me derive some other variable: such as the change in time, or the acceleration, with the given data.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Symon! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Is the "displacement equation" work done = force times (or "dot") displacement?

If so, you don't need the time. :wink:

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3
    Thus far, i am unfamiliar with that equation, here are some of the equations that I've either derived or have been given:

1) ∆d=〖(∆v)〗^2/2a
    2) ∆d= ∆v∆t
    3) ∆d=vi∆t+ 1/2 a〖(∆t)〗^2

As you can see, the first equation that i have neglects time, but i am unable to use it without finding the acceleration (which is another equation i need time for). Is there some alternate way i can find the acceleration, force involved, time, or mass?

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok … you're using the usual constant acceleration equations.

(but #1 is wrong … it should have ∆(v2), not (∆v)2, and #2 is completely wrong … replace it with ∆v = a∆t)

Yes, you can find the acceleration, a, by starting with the friction coefficient, µ = 0.62 …

that will give you the force, and then you can find the acceleration from good ol' Newton's second law. :wink:

6. Nov 8, 2009 #5
    Thank you :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook