Finding the displacement of a braking car, with limited variables.

In summary, the problem involves finding the length of a skid mark when a car traveling at 120km/h slams on the brakes with a friction coefficient of 0.62. By converting the initial velocity to m/s and using the constant acceleration equations, it is possible to find the acceleration using the friction coefficient, and then use Newton's second law to calculate the force involved.
Symon

Homework Statement

A car is traveling at 120km/h when it slams on the brakes. How long is the skid mark if the coefficient of friction is 0.62?(hint: convert km/h to m/s)

Given: initial velocity: 33.3m/s; final velocity: 0m/s; coefficient of fricition: 0.62

Homework Equations

μ = Ffriction/Fnormal; a= Force/mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Because of the absense of a time value, I'm finding it very difficult to use and displacement equation I've been given. I understand the the change in velocity (after being conversted to m/s) is 33.33m/s, but that's as far as I've gotten.

I was wondering is anyone could help me derive some other variable: such as the change in time, or the acceleration, with the given data.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Symon said:
A car is traveling at 120km/h when it slams on the brakes. How long is the skid mark if the coefficient of friction is 0.62?(hint: convert km/h to m/s)

Because of the absense of a time value, I'm finding it very difficult to use and displacement equation I've been given.

Hi Symon! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Is the "displacement equation" work done = force times (or "dot") displacement?

If so, you don't need the time. :wink:

Thus far, i am unfamiliar with that equation, here are some of the equations that I've either derived or have been given:

1) ∆d=〖(∆v)〗^2/2a
2) ∆d= ∆v∆t
3) ∆d=vi∆t+ 1/2 a〖(∆t)〗^2

As you can see, the first equation that i have neglects time, but i am unable to use it without finding the acceleration (which is another equation i need time for). Is there some alternate way i can find the acceleration, force involved, time, or mass?

ok … you're using the usual constant acceleration equations.

(but #1 is wrong … it should have ∆(v2), not (∆v)2, and #2 is completely wrong … replace it with ∆v = a∆t)

Yes, you can find the acceleration, a, by starting with the friction coefficient, µ = 0.62 …

that will give you the force, and then you can find the acceleration from good ol' Newton's second law. :wink:

Thank you :)

Last edited:

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object. It is the distance and direction between an object's initial and final positions.

2. How can displacement be calculated for a braking car?

To calculate displacement for a braking car, you will need to know the car's initial velocity, final velocity, and the time it took to slow down. The equation for displacement is: Δx = (vf + vi)/2 * t.

3. What are the variables that affect the displacement of a braking car?

The variables that affect the displacement of a braking car include the initial velocity of the car, the final velocity of the car, the time it takes for the car to slow down, and the braking force applied.

4. Can the displacement of a braking car be negative?

Yes, the displacement of a braking car can be negative if the car is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position. This indicates that the car has reversed its direction during the braking process.

5. How does the weight of a car affect its displacement during braking?

The weight of a car does not directly affect its displacement during braking. However, a heavier car may require more braking force to slow down, which can affect the final displacement.