Finding the domain of an equation

• Thread starter Centurion1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the domain of the function f(x) = 2+7x (square root) is the set of all real numbers greater than or equal to -2/7. This is because the argument of the square root must be greater than or equal to 0 in order to have a defined answer. The minimum value of x is -2/7, and the maximum value is infinity. Therefore, the domain is {x | -2/7 <= x < \infty}.
Centurion1

Homework Statement

Find the Domain of f

f(x)=2+7x (2+7x is in square root)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure. The possible answers i think of seem far to easy. This problem's annoying me because i remember doing it in alg. 2 but it was so long ago i cannot remember exactly how.

Anyway here is my attempt
f(x)= 2+7X (square root all)
now do you just plug in numbers. And if numbers match up you can say whether it is all real numbers or if there is a limit?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can see the domain as all possible input values of a function. Putting a value of the domain into the function will yield a value in its range. When they ask you what the domain is of f without any other information they mean the natural domain of f which is the largest domain.

For example we have the function f(x)=1/x. If we take x=0 we get f(0)=1/0 which is not defined. Therefore x=0 is not in the domain of f. For all other values of x the function returns a defined value, therefore the domain of f are all values of x except 0. Try to apply this to your function.

Centurion1 said:
Anyway here is my attempt
f(x)= 2+7X (square root all)
now do you just plug in numbers. And if numbers match up you can say whether it is all real numbers or if there is a limit?

You want to find a constraint on the x values yes, but you can do that more efficiently than just plugging in an infinite amount of numbers. You know that you cannot take the square root of a negative number this puts a constraint on the argument of the root. Can you write this down mathematically?

Last edited:
so at what point do i stop entering in new values. I have done 0-5 and they all are all defined. So is the answer to this problem all real numbers?

Since I just edited my first post you may not have read the part I edited in. If you haven't do read it.

No the domain does not consist of all real numbers. Try x=-1 and tell me what f(-1) is.

Yeah, just read your edited in part. Seeing as i am doing calculus this year i hope i can...

so would it be x>-1

No you're just guessing now I could ask you to try x=-0.99999 and you would run into the same problem. We don't want to just guess we want to find a systematic way of solving this problem.
Try to answer the following question.

The argument of the root has to be ...? (for clarification with the argument of the root I mean the stuff that is underneath the root sign)
If you can't answer this question then explain to me why x=-1 does not belong to the domain.

Well it has to be greater than any negative number if you want a defined answer. would it be greater than or EQUAL to 0? Or is that answer format just wrong?

Indeed the argument has to be greater than or equal to 0. We can write this down mathematically as [itex]2+7x \ge 0[/itex]. Can you find all values for x now?

well wouldn't it be 0 to infinity? I could input a million or a trillion and i would get a defined answer right.

The interval 0 to infinity is certainly part of its domain, but it's not complete. There are more values that lie within its domain. I will say it again we know that [itex]2+7x \ge 0[/itex]. Now how do you usually find values for x when you're given such an equality/inequality?

would you try to solve it like an equation? basically, (sqr. root)2+7x=0

You get -2/7. which equals zero when plugged in.

Basically, however you said correctly in a previous post that only the argument needs to be greater than or equal to 0. So don't solve for the square root of the argument, although the answer doesn't change. By changing the inequality into an equality you've found the minimum value of x. Do you understand this? What is the function's domain?

-2/7<(or equal to)x<(or equal to) infinity?

Almost, x can never become infinity so you need to change your smaller or equal than sign to ..?

so it would be less than infinity.

Yep.

thank you very much for your help (and patience).

You're welcome.

Centurion1 said:
-2/7<(or equal to)x<(or equal to) infinity?
In other words, the domain of your function is the set {x | -2/7 <= x < [itex]\infty[/itex]}

What is the domain of an equation?

The domain of an equation is the set of all possible values for the independent variable (usually denoted as x) that can be input into the equation. It is the range of values for which the equation is defined and makes sense.

How do you find the domain of an equation?

To find the domain of an equation, you need to look for any restrictions on the independent variable. This can include avoiding division by zero, taking the square root of a negative number, or having a negative number inside an even root. Once you identify these restrictions, you can determine the allowed values for the independent variable and thus, the domain of the equation.

Can the domain of an equation be negative?

Yes, the domain of an equation can include negative numbers. It all depends on the restrictions of the equation. For example, the domain of the equation y = x^2 + 1 is all real numbers since there are no restrictions on the independent variable x. However, the domain of the equation y = 1/x is all real numbers except for 0, since division by 0 is undefined.

What happens if the domain of an equation is not specified?

If the domain of an equation is not specified, it is assumed to be all real numbers. However, it is always important to check for any restrictions on the independent variable to ensure that the equation is defined for all possible values of x.

Why is finding the domain of an equation important?

Finding the domain of an equation is important because it tells us the set of values for which the equation is defined and makes sense. It also helps us avoid any mathematical errors, such as division by zero, which can occur if the domain is not properly identified.