1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Electric Field due to two point charges.

1. Aug 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two points charges.

q1=2.4e-6 C is located at (0,0)

q2=-5.7e-6 C is located at (3,0)

I must calculate the magnitude of the Electric field at (0,0)

2. Relevant equations
    E=kq/r^2 ; k=9e9

3. The attempt at a solution
    The electric field at (0,0) due to q2=9e9x(-5.7e-6)/3^2 = -5700N/C

Next would be to add the electric field at (0,0) due to q1.
    However, I don't know how to calculate the field as distance is r=0 which doesn't work with the formula.

How do I calculate the electric field due to a point charge AT the point charge?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't. Please quote the problem exactly as stated and not your interpretation of it.

4. Aug 11, 2015 #3

"Consider a system where a charge -5.7-μC is located at x = 3.0-m, y = 0.0-m and another charge +2.4-μC is located at x = 0.0-m, y=0.0-m. Find the magnitude of the electric field at x = 0.0-m, y = 0.0m. "

5. Aug 11, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is very likely a misprint in the problem statement. It is likely that one of the values of the positions is wrong or, if part of a bigger problem, the field at (0,0) from q2 is what is intended.

6. Aug 11, 2015 #5
    The next part is :In what direction is this electric field orientated, measured in the normal way (anti-clockwise from the x-axis, which is pointing to the right in the above figure)?

I tried just the field at (0,0) from q2 at got the wrong answer :( Will try and contact my lecturer

To put it simply is it impossible to determine the electric field from a point charge at the point charge?

7. Aug 11, 2015 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The answer to this is: NO !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted