Finding the Electric field at the Origin

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at the origin due to a quarter of a ring with +Q charges on the +y-axis. The x-components of the electric field will cancel out due to symmetry, leaving only the y-component in the negative y-direction. The issue is finding the correct limits of integration to use for this problem, as using the limits of integration from 3pi/4 to pi/4 did not give an exact 0 for the x-component. The correct limits of integration should be from pi/4 to 3pi/4 and the integral should evaluate to exactly zero.
NkaujHelp

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the electric field at the origin <0, 0, 0> due to a quarter of a ring with +Q charges on it. The quarter of the ring lies on the +y-axis. Due to symmetry, the x-components of the electric field will cancel out, leaving only the y-component of the electric field pointing in the negative y-direction. So my problem with this is finding the correct limit of integration to use for this problem. At first, I used the limits of integration from 3pi/4 to pi/4. When I used this on the x-component, it didn't give me an exact 0. It gave me like 0.2738 something like that. The answer for the x-components should have been exactly zero. So I don't know if this was the right limits of integration or is there other limits that I can use that I can't think of to make the x-components zero. If my limits of integration that I use doesn't make the x-components zero, then my answer for the electric field for the y-component would be wrong too. I know how to do everything else, but it's the limits that I am stuck on.

Homework Equations

E = [(kΔq)/(πr^2)] * r hat
r hat = <-cosσ, -sinσ, 0>
Δq = (2(+Q)Δσ)/π

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrating for the x-component: ∫[2k(+Q)(-cosσdσ)]/[πR^2] = 2k(+Q)/πR^2 ∫-cosσdσ

Physics news on Phys.org
NkaujHelp said:

Homework Equations

E = [(kΔq)/(πr^2)] * r hat
r hat = <-cosσ, -sinσ, 0>
Δq = (2(+Q)Δσ)/π
OK, except I think you have a typo in the expression for E. Should there be ##\pi## in the denominator?

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrating for the x-component: ∫[2k(+Q)(-cosσdσ)]/[πR^2] = 2k(+Q)/πR^2 ∫-cosσdσ
This looks correct. (Now there should be the factor of ##\pi## as you have it.)

I used the limits of integration from 3pi/4 to pi/4.
Why "from 3pi/4 to pi/4" rather than "from pi/4 to 3pi/4"?

Your integral should give exactly zero. Don't forget to put your calculator in radian mode if you are using your calculator to evaluate something like ##\sin(\pi/4)## (which you probably know without needing a calculator).

1. What is the electric field at the origin?

The electric field at the origin is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force at the center point of a coordinate system. It is represented by a vector quantity and is typically denoted by the symbol E.

2. How is the electric field at the origin calculated?

The electric field at the origin is calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge creating the electric field, and r is the distance from the charge to the origin point.

3. What factors affect the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the origin?

The magnitude and direction of the electric field at the origin are affected by the magnitude and location of the charge creating the field, as well as the distance from the charge to the origin point. The presence of other charges in the surrounding area can also impact the electric field at the origin.

4. How can the electric field at the origin be represented graphically?

The electric field at the origin can be represented graphically using field lines. These lines indicate the direction and relative strength of the electric field at different points in space. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field at that point.

5. Why is it important to find the electric field at the origin?

Finding the electric field at the origin is important in understanding the behavior of electric charges and their interactions with each other. It is also a crucial step in solving more complex problems involving electric fields and their effects on objects in their vicinity.