1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Electric field at the Origin

1. Sep 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to find the electric field at the origin <0, 0, 0> due to a quarter of a ring with +Q charges on it. The quarter of the ring lies on the +y-axis. Due to symmetry, the x-components of the electric field will cancel out, leaving only the y-component of the electric field pointing in the negative y-direction. So my problem with this is finding the correct limit of integration to use for this problem. At first, I used the limits of integration from 3pi/4 to pi/4. When I used this on the x-component, it didn't give me an exact 0. It gave me like 0.2738 something like that. The answer for the x-components should have been exactly zero. So I don't know if this was the right limits of integration or is there other limits that I can use that I can't think of to make the x-components zero. If my limits of integration that I use doesn't make the x-components zero, then my answer for the electric field for the y-component would be wrong too. I know how to do everything else, but it's the limits that I am stuck on.

2. Relevant equations
    E = [(kΔq)/(πr^2)] * r hat
    r hat = <-cosσ, -sinσ, 0>
    Δq = (2(+Q)Δσ)/π

3. The attempt at a solution
    Integrating for the x-component: ∫[2k(+Q)(-cosσdσ)]/[πR^2] = 2k(+Q)/πR^2 ∫-cosσdσ

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, except I think you have a typo in the expression for E. Should there be ##\pi## in the denominator?

This looks correct. (Now there should be the factor of ##\pi## as you have it.)

Why "from 3pi/4 to pi/4" rather than "from pi/4 to 3pi/4"?

Your integral should give exactly zero. Don't forget to put your calculator in radian mode if you are using your calculator to evaluate something like ##\sin(\pi/4)## (which you probably know without needing a calculator).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted