1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Equivalent Resistance

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1

B18

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equivalent resistance

2. Relevant equations
    Is=I1=I2=...
    Vs=V1+V2+...
    Rs=R1+R2+...
    Ip=I1+I2+...
    Vp=V1=V2=...
    1/Rp=(1/R1)+(1/R2)+...

3. The attempt at a solution
    Sorry the picture is sideways! Is this the correct method for finding the equivalent resistance? The part that confuses me is R5 and R4. Just wasn't sure if they were in series.Thanks for any help you can provide!!

View attachment 75652

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are not in series, nor are they in parallel. However, there is another set of resistors in that step which are in parallel.

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3

B18

Would the 60 Ohm resistor be in parallel with R5? and then the equivalent resistor for the 60 Ohm and R5 resistors would be in series with R4?

5. Nov 19, 2014 #4

B18

Ok i tried that way. Got an equivalent resistance of 54 Ohms. I don't see any spots that confuse me. Did I do this correctly?

Attached Files:

6. Nov 19, 2014 #5

B18

Is anyone able to confirm the equivalent resistance as being 54 Ohms?

7. Nov 19, 2014 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, we cannot simply confirm answers without seeing the calculation details. Looking over the thread I see more questions than calculations. If you present your calculations and reasoning then we will be happy to comment on the method and results.

Orodruin pointed out a flaw in your first attempt, and it sounds like you've corrected it and proceeded correctly. Can you show those calculations?

8. Nov 19, 2014 #7

B18

I redid the circuit simplification. These are all the calculations I can give. The resistance values of R1,R2,R3,R4,R5 are givens. and the top left circuit is the starting point. I am just trying to confirm the equivalent resistance of that circuit. Thank you for helping me to this point.

Attached Files:

9. Nov 19, 2014 #8

gneill

Staff: Mentor

image1.JPG

Looks good! Nicely presented, too.

10. Nov 19, 2014 #9

B18

Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted