Finding the exerting forces in a container

In summary, the problem involves finding the force exerted by a gas on one of the walls of a sealed cubical container. Using the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, and the equation P=F/A, we can solve for the pressure, P, and then calculate the force exerted by the gas on the wall. The only difference between the attempted solution and the correct answer is the use of 3 instead of 3n, as one mole is equivalent to Avogadro's number of molecules.
Philip Wong

Homework Statement

A sealed cubical container 20.0 cm on a side contains three times Avogadro’s number of molecules at a temperature of 20.0°C. Find the force exerted by the gas on one of the walls of the container.

Homework Equations

[itex]PV=nRT[/itex]
[itex]P=F/A[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello people, here is what I understands from the question

[itex]V=(0.2)^3[/itex]
[itex]PV=3*n*R*(20+273K)[/itex]
[itex]P*(0.2)^3=3*n*8.31*(293)[/itex]
[itex]P=(7304.49n)/(0.2)^3[/itex]
[itex]P=913061.25n[/itex]

This is where I don't understands, according to the answer shown by the lecturer, he uses n=3 instead of 3n (which is what I've suggested). Can someone show me why is this?

thanks,
Phil

Physics news on Phys.org
Philip Wong said:

Homework Statement

A sealed cubical container 20.0 cm on a side contains three times Avogadro’s number of molecules at a temperature of 20.0°C. Find the force exerted by the gas on one of the walls of the container.

Homework Equations

[itex]PV=nRT[/itex]
[itex]P=F/A[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello people, here is what I understands from the question

[itex]V=(0.2)^3[/itex]
[itex]PV=3*n*R*(20+273K)[/itex]
[itex]P*(0.2)^3=3*n*8.31*(293)[/itex]
[itex]P=(7304.49n)/(0.2)^3[/itex]
[itex]P=913061.25n[/itex]

This is where I don't understands, according to the answer shown by the lecturer, he uses n=3 instead of 3n (which is what I've suggested). Can someone show me why is this?

thanks,
Phil

Hi Phil! :smile:

The question has given you that the number of molecules in the container is three times the Avogadro number, and one mole is equivalent to Avogadro's number of molecules. So, how many moles totally? :wink:

Infinitum said:
Hi Phil! :smile:

The question has given you that the number of molecules in the container is three times the Avogadro number, and one mole is equivalent to Avogadro's number of molecules. So, how many moles totally? :wink:

oh right. got it.

thanks!

1. How do I determine the exerting forces in a container?

In order to determine the exerting forces in a container, you must first identify all the objects within the container and their respective weights. Next, you will need to calculate the net force acting on each object by considering the direction and magnitude of each force. Finally, you can use the equation F=ma (force = mass x acceleration) to calculate the exerting forces on each object.

2. What is the difference between internal and external forces in a container?

Internal forces are forces that act between objects within the container, while external forces are forces that act on the container from outside sources. Internal forces can affect the balance of the container and may contribute to the exerting forces, while external forces can cause the container to move or change its shape.

3. How does the shape of a container affect the exerting forces?

The shape of a container can affect the exerting forces in a few ways. A container with a larger surface area may experience higher external forces, such as air resistance, while a container with a more compact shape may experience less external forces. Additionally, the shape of a container can also impact the distribution of internal forces and the stability of the container.

4. What factors can influence the exerting forces in a container?

There are several factors that can influence the exerting forces in a container. These include the weight and mass of objects within the container, the shape and size of the container, external forces such as air resistance or pressure, and the material properties of the container and its contents. Other factors, such as temperature and humidity, may also play a role in certain situations.

5. How can I reduce the exerting forces in a container?

There are a few ways to reduce the exerting forces in a container. One way is to redistribute the weight of objects within the container to create a more balanced distribution of forces. Another way is to reinforce the container with stronger materials or by changing its shape to better withstand external forces. Additionally, reducing the speed or acceleration of the container can also help decrease the exerting forces acting on it.