Finding the greatest angle

• MHB
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary: From triangle inequality, b+c>a $\Rightarrow \sin B+\sin C>\sin A \Rightarrow \sin A+\sin B+\sin C>2\sin A$. Hence $\sin A<1/2$. This gives the answer. Thanks a lot both of you.
Saitama
Problem:

In $\Delta$ABC, $\displaystyle \cos \left( \frac{A}{2} \right) \cos \left( \frac{B}{2} \right) \cos \left( \frac{C}{2} \right)\leq \frac{1}{4}$, then greatest angle of triangle

A)lies in $\left(0,\frac{\pi}{2}\right)$

B)lies in $\left(\frac{2\pi}{3},\frac{5\pi}{6}\right)$

C)lies in $\left(\frac{5\pi}{6},\pi\right)$

D)lies in $\left(\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{2\pi}{3}\right)$

Attempt:

I haven't been able to proceed anywhere with this problem. I could only simplify the given inequality to
$$\sin A+\sin B+\sin C\leq 1$$

(The above can be proved by using $C=\pi-(A+B)$)

But I am not sure if the above helps.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Problem:

In $\Delta$ABC, $\displaystyle \cos \left( \frac{A}{2} \right) \cos \left( \frac{B}{2} \right) \cos \left( \frac{C}{2} \right)\leq \frac{1}{4}$, then greatest angle of triangle

A)lies in $\left(0,\frac{\pi}{2}\right)$

B)lies in $\left(\frac{2\pi}{3},\frac{5\pi}{6}\right)$

C)lies in $\left(\frac{5\pi}{6},\pi\right)$

D)lies in $\left(\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{2\pi}{3}\right)$

Attempt:

I haven't been able to proceed anywhere with this problem. I could only simplify the given inequality to

(The above can be proved by using $C=\pi-(A+B)$)

But I am not sure if the above helps.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi!

Suppose A is the greatest angle.
That means A is at least 60 degrees and at most 180.
$$\frac \pi 3 \le A < \pi \qquad \qquad (1)$$

You've got:
That means that:
$$-1 \le \sin A \le \frac 1 3 \qquad \qquad (2)$$

Combine (1) and (2) to find:
$$0 < \sin A \le \frac 1 3 \wedge A \ge \frac \pi 3$$

With $\sin(\frac {5\pi}{6}) = \frac 1 2$, we can conclude that...

Hi ILS! :)

I like Serena said:
With $\sin(\frac {5\pi}{6}) = \frac 1 2$, we can conclude that...

I understand what you have done before this but isn't 1/2 out of the range of $\sin A$?

Pranav said:
... isn't 1/2 out of the range of $\sin A$?
If $\Delta$ is the area of the triangle then $\Delta = \frac12bc\sin A$ and so $\sin A = \frac{2\Delta}{bc}$, and similarly $\sin B = \frac{2\Delta}{ca}$ and $\sin C = \frac{2\Delta}{ab}$. The inequality $\sin A + \sin B + \sin C \leqslant 1$ then becomes $2\Delta(a+b+c) \leqslant abc.$ But (see here for example) $abc = 4R\Delta$, where $R$ is the radius of the circumcircle. Therefore $2\Delta(a+b+c) \leqslant 4R\Delta$, or $s\leqslant R$, where $s = \frac12(a+b+c)$ is the semi-perimeter of the triangle. In particular, we must have $a\leqslant R$, where $a = |BC|$ is the longest side. It follows that the angle $BOC$ in the diagram below ($O$ being the centre of the circumcircle) must be at most $\pi/3$, and hence the angle $A$ must be at least $5\pi/6$. Therefore $\sin A \leqslant \frac12.$

Attachments

• circumcircle.png
    circumcircle.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 64
Hi Opalg!

Opalg said:
... $a\leqslant R$, where $a = |BC|$ is the longest side.

Sorry if this is obvious but I can't quite follow this. How do you get $a\leq R$? Why not $a\leq 2R$? :confused:

Pranav said:
Hi ILS! :)

I understand what you have done before this but isn't 1/2 out of the range of $\sin A$?

Yep. It's out of range. I'll get to that in a sec.

What is the solution of:
$$0 < \sin A \le \frac 1 3$$

Pranav said:
Hi Opalg!
Sorry if this is obvious but I can't quite follow this. How do you get $a\leq R$? Why not $a\leq 2R$? :confused:
$a$ must be less than $s$ because $a\leqslant b+c$ (any side of a triangle must be less than half the perimeter, because the sum of the other two sides is larger then it). So $a = \frac12(a+a) \leqslant \frac12(a+b+c) = s \leqslant R.$

Opalg said:
$a$ must be less than $s$ because $a\leqslant b+c$ (any side of a triangle must be less than half the perimeter, because the sum of the other two sides is larger then it). So $a = \frac12(a+a) \leqslant \frac12(a+b+c) = s \leqslant R.$

Thanks Opalg but I am still stuck at your previous post.

Why do you say the least angle is $5\pi/6$ when it is clearly greater than $\pi/3$. :confused:

I like Serena said:
Yep. It's out of range. I'll get to that in a sec.

What is the solution of:
$$0 < \sin A \le \frac 1 3$$

$$A \in \left(0,\arcsin\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)\right] \cup \left[\pi-\arcsin\left(\frac{1}{3}\right),\pi \right)$$

Correct?

Pranav said:
$$A \in \left(0,\arcsin\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)\right] \cup \left[\pi-\arcsin\left(\frac{1}{3}\right),\pi \right)$$

Correct?

Yes. Correct. :)

Since, \(\displaystyle \sin(\pi/6) = 1/2 > 1/3\), we can conclude that the angle corresponding to $\arcsin(1/3) < \pi/6$.

Therefore a weaker, but still true, condition is:
$$A \in \left(0,\pi/6 \right) \cup \left(\pi-\pi/6,\pi \right)$$

Combine with the fact that $A > \pi /3$, and we find that \(\displaystyle A \in \left(\frac {5\pi}{6},\pi \right)\).

I like Serena said:
Yes. Correct. :)

Since, \(\displaystyle \sin(\pi/6) = 1/2 > 1/3\), we can conclude that the angle corresponding to $\arcsin(1/3) < \pi/6$.

Therefore a weaker, but still true, condition is:
$$A \in \left(0,\pi/6 \right) \cup \left(\pi-\pi/6,\pi \right)$$

Combine with the fact that $A > \pi /3$, and we find that \(\displaystyle A \in \left(\frac {5\pi}{6},\pi \right)\).

Thanks. :)

But I am again confused. I was looking at your previous and found the following confusing.

I like Serena said:
You've got:
That means that:
$$-1 \le \sin A \le \frac 1 3 \qquad \qquad (2)$$
$1/3=0.33$. I can have $\sin A=0.9$ and $\sin B=\sin C=0.05$ which satisfies the inequality but not the range you have mentioned for $\sin A$. Sorry if I am being dumb. :confused:

Pranav said:
$1/3=0.33$. I can have $\sin A=0.9$ and $\sin B=\sin C=0.05$ which satisfies the inequality but not the range you have mentioned for $\sin A$. Sorry if I am being dumb.

Good point. I made a mistake there. :eek:

I like Serena said:
Good point. I made a mistake there. :eek:

I am sorry, the values I mentioned won't satisfy A+B+C=$\pi$.

But I still don't see how you get $-1\leq \sin A \leq \frac{1}{3}$, can you please elaborate that?

And I am still stuck at Opalg's post. I understand how $a\leq R$. When a=R, I see that A is $5\pi /6$. I don't see how A=$\pi/6$ is achieved. :(

EDIT: I think I have arrived at the answer but I am still interested to know about Opalg's method. Can you please explain a bit more, it would really help. Many thanks!

From triangle inequality, b+c>a $\Rightarrow \sin B+\sin C>\sin A \Rightarrow \sin A+\sin B+\sin C>2\sin A$. Hence $\sin A<1/2$. This gives the answer. Thanks a lot both of you. :D

Last edited:
Pranav said:
And I am still stuck at Opalg's post. I understand how $a\leq R$. When a=R, I see that A is $5\pi /6$. I don't see how A=$\pi/6$ is achieved. :(
Given that $a\leqslant R$, it follows that either $A\geqslant 5\pi/6$ or $A\leqslant \pi/6$. But $A$ is supposed to be the greatest angle in the triangle, so it cannot be $< \pi/6$. If the greatest angle in the triangle is $\pi/6$ then the triangle would have to be equilateral, in which case $\sin A + \sin B + \sin C = 3\sqrt3/2 >1$, so we can certainly rule out that case.

Opalg said:
Given that $a\leqslant R$, it follows that either $A\geqslant 5\pi/6$ or $A\leqslant \pi/6$. But $A$ is supposed to be the greatest angle in the triangle, so it cannot be $< \pi/6$. If the greatest angle in the triangle is $\pi/6$ then the triangle would have to be equilateral, in which case $\sin A + \sin B + \sin C = 3\sqrt3/2 >1$, so we can certainly rule out that case.

I realize my mistake, thanks a lot Opalg! :eek:

Related to Finding the greatest angle

What is the greatest angle?

The greatest angle is the largest angle within a given set of angles.

How do you find the greatest angle?

To find the greatest angle, you need to compare all the angles within a given set and determine which one is the largest.

What tools are needed to find the greatest angle?

To find the greatest angle, you only need a protractor and knowledge of basic angle measurement and comparison.

What is the difference between the greatest angle and the smallest angle?

The greatest angle is the largest angle within a given set, while the smallest angle is the smallest angle within the same set.

Why is it important to find the greatest angle?

Finding the greatest angle is important in many fields, such as mathematics, engineering, and navigation, as it allows us to determine the largest possible angle within a given set, which can be useful in solving various problems and making accurate measurements.