1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the impedance of a circuit

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

I'm just trying to do part a for the moment.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My initial attempt was just trying to find the impedance of the 5 mH inductor and saying that would be Zin. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

Then I tried doing a thevenin type problem where I find the impedance of all the elements to the right of the inductor, but that doesn't seem to work either.

I also just tried finding Zeq for the whole thing but that doesn't work either, hmm.
    How does one find the impedance between two nodes? I would have thought that the 2nd method would have worked for sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
    Thevenin Theorem should work here. Find the equivalent impedance seen from the nodes a and g.

(Hint : Fold from the right side to the left side)

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

CEL

No need to use Thevenin, since there is no power source.
    Between nodes b and g there are two elements. Find the impedance of the parallel combination. Between nodes a and b there is a capacitor, that is in series with the impedance bg. Finally, calculate the impedance of the three branches in parallel between nodes a and g.
    A similar reasoning can be made for items b and c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?