Need help with this indefinite integral question please.

In summary, the OP attempted to solve an integral using the substitution method, but was not confident about where to go next. They asked for help, and received it in the form of a helpful post from another user.
Gundam44

Homework Statement

find the following integral:

cos(x/2) - sin(3x/2) dx

Homework Equations

I think the substitution method has to be used.
Solve integrals by parts.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let u = x/2
cosu

du/dx=1/2, I then inverted it so dx/du = 2/1 = 2
So dx=2du

Now I have cosu2du

Do I take out the constant ie: constant multiple rule?

I am not confident about where to go next.

Any help would be vastly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gundam44 said:

Homework Statement

find the following integral:

cos(x/2) - sin(3x/2) dx

Homework Equations

I think the substitution method has to be used.
Solve integrals by parts.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let u = x/2
cosu

du/dx=1/2, I then inverted it so dx/du = 2/1 = 2
So dx=2du

Now I have cosu2du

Do I take out the constant ie: constant multiple rule?

I am not confident about where to go next.

Any help would be vastly appreciated, thank you.
Please turn off the bold font; it looks like you are yelling at us and is super distracting.
Mod note: Fixed...I believe this is a matter of the formatting of the three numbered sections being inadventently carried over to the following text.
Of course ##\int c f(u) \, du = c \int f(u) \,du## for any function ##f(u)## and any constant ##c##.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should substitute not only in the cosine argument, but also in sine, so after the substitution you are left with [tex]\int 2(cos(u) - sin(3u))du[/tex] right?
Now you are just a little step away from your result; integrals have linearity so yes, you can take the 2 out of the integral and easily calculate the primitives of the two terms.

Ray Vickson said:
Please turn off the bold font; it looks like you are yelling at us and is super distracting.

Of course ##\int c f(u) \, du = c \int f(u) \,du## for any function ##f(u)## and any constant ##c##.
Sorry I was using the template and that was how it came out, it's my first post but I will make sure it is turned of from now on. Thank you very much for the help, helps to have a bit of confidence as I am doing this as an open uni course.

mastrofoffi said:
You should substitute not only in the cosine argument, but also in sine, so after the substitution you are left with [tex]\int 2(cos(u) - sin(3u))du[/tex] right?
Now you are just a little step away from your result; integrals have linearity so yes, you can take the 2 out of the integral and easily calculate the primitives of the two terms.
Oh thank you very much mastrofoffi, I was reluctant to go on to the second part as I was concerned about the first but that makes a lot of sense.

mastrofoffi said:

The OP could also write ##\int [\cos(x/2)-\sin(3x/2)] \, dx = \int \cos(x/2) \, dx - \int \sin(3x/2) \, dx##, and use two separate substitutions: ##u = x/2## in the first integral and ##u = 3x/2## in the second one.

Likes Mark44 and mastrofoffi
Gundam44 said:
Oh thank you very much mastrofoffi, I was reluctant to go on to the second part as I was concerned about the first but that makes a lot of sense.

Note that you can always check the answer to an indefinite integral by differentiating the answer to check you get the original function back.

In principle, you should never be unsure whether you have the right answer.

Using this approach you could also check for yourself the linearity of integrals and that, in particular, you can take a constant outside the integral.

Likes mastrofoffi
Okay I have had a good crack at it, my answer is:

2sin(x/2) - 2/3(-cos 3x/2) + c

Any thoughts?

Gundam44 said:

Any thoughts?
Did you read PeroK's post?
PeroK said:
Note that you can always check the answer to an indefinite integral by differentiating the answer to check you get the original function back.

In principle, you should never be unsure whether you have the right answer.

Likes PeroK
Gundam44 said:

Any thoughts?

My thought is that you should differentiate that and see what you get.

Mark44 said:
Did you read PeroK's post?
At least you read it!

PeroK said:
At least you read it!
Sorry I missed that post, so many posts, I feel this is going okay as my first ever forum though. I will now differentiate.

Gundam44 said:
Sorry I missed that post, so many posts, I feel this is going okay as my first ever forum though. I will now differentiate.

Good. That is something you should get into the habit of doing automatically, always.

Differentiated and got -sin(3x/2) so yeah looks good. Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it.

Ray Vickson said:
Good. That is something you should get into the habit of doing automatically, always.

Yeah makes complete sense as it's the reverse of integration.

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is an integral that does not have any specific limits of integration. It represents a family of functions that differ only by a constant.

2. How do you solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you need to use integration rules and techniques, such as the power rule, substitution, or integration by parts. You can also use a table of integrals or a computer program to find the solution.

3. What is the difference between an indefinite integral and a definite integral?

An indefinite integral does not have any specific limits of integration, while a definite integral has specific limits of integration. A definite integral gives a numeric value, while an indefinite integral represents a family of functions.

4. Can you give an example of solving an indefinite integral?

For example, the indefinite integral of f(x) = 2x is F(x) = x^2 + C, where C is the constant of integration. To solve this, we use the power rule for integration, which states that the integral of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C.

5. Why is it important to solve indefinite integrals?

Indefinite integrals are useful in finding the original function when given the derivative, as well as in many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are also an essential concept in calculus and help in understanding the behavior of functions.