How can I find the limit 0/0 when using direct substitution?

• Thread starter Cal124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the author is struggling with finding a limit and is having difficulty with direct substitution.
Cal124
I am really struggling with limits at the moment. Any help would be great! Thanks to anyone in advance if they take the time to read the rest of this.
Basically i am struggling with finding the limit when using direct substitution provides 0/0
I (think) am fine with limits that involve quadratic equations, you factorise which should allow some canceling out, and direct substitution should provide an answer.

Just to check
Lim t->(-1) [(1/(t+1)) - (1/(t^2+3t+2)]
factorizing the t^2+3t+2 i can cancel out to 1/(t+2) which with direct substitution the limit = 1/1 =1

but my problem is when i encounter limits such as
lim h->0 (sqrt(2+2h)-sqrt(2)) / h

I did try multiplying it by the conjugate (sqrt(2+2h)-sqrt(2)) / (sqrt(2+2h)+sqrt(2)) but this gave me 2/sqrt(2) and putting the original into worlfram alpha the answer is apparently 1/sqrt(2)

I'm just not sure on the procedure when dealing with this king of limit. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us how you obtained ##\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}##. Your method is good, but there is likely a computation error.

micromass said:
Tell us how you obtained ##\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}##. Your method is good, but there is likely a computation error.
Hopefully this will be okay to follow apologies if not, not sure how to write equations on here yet.
>>
[sqrt(2+2h) - sqrt(2)]/h . [sqrt(2+2h)+sqrt(2)]/sqrt(2+2h)+sqrt(2)
>>
2+2h+[sqrt(2)sqrt(2+2h)]-[sqrt(2)sqrt(2+2h)]-2
h.sqrt(2+2h)+sqrt(2)
>>
cancels to
2h
h.[sqrt(2+2h)+sqrt(2)]
>>
giving, as h->0 & canceling the h's
sqrt(2+2.0)+sqrt(2)
Ive realized my error, thanks a lot i will continue just in case
>>
2/sqrt(2)+sqrt(2) = sqrt(2)/2

just for clarification, is it a rule of thumb in this sort of limit to multiply by the conjugate?

Nice work!

Cal124 said:
just for clarification, is it a rule of thumb in this sort of limit to multiply by the conjugate?

Yes, it is a trick that works in a lot of cases.

Likes Cal124
micromass said:
Nice work!
Yes, it is a trick that works in a lot of cases.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Have you tried setting ##2h=u## to make the expression look more like a derivative?

WWGD said:
Have you tried setting ##2h=u## to make the expression look more like a derivative?
It looks like it could be a derivative just as it is.

ƒ'(1) , where ƒ(x) = √(2x) .

1. What does "finding the limit 0/0" mean?

Finding the limit 0/0 refers to the mathematical concept of determining the value that a function approaches as its input approaches 0, or the point where the function is undefined.

2. Can the limit of 0/0 be determined?

No, the limit of 0/0 cannot be determined as it is an indeterminate form. This means that the value of the limit depends on the specific function and cannot be calculated without additional information.

3. Why is dividing by 0/0 considered indeterminate?

Dividing by 0/0 is considered indeterminate because it can result in different values depending on the specific function. It does not necessarily mean that the function has no limit, but rather that more information is needed to determine the limit.

4. Is finding the limit 0/0 important in mathematics?

Yes, finding the limit 0/0 is an important concept in mathematics as it is used to solve a variety of problems in calculus and other areas of mathematics. It allows us to better understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values.

5. How can the limit of 0/0 be evaluated?

The limit of 0/0 can be evaluated by using various mathematical techniques, such as L'Hôpital's rule or factoring and simplifying the function. However, in some cases, it may not be possible to determine the limit without additional information or advanced techniques.