Finding the New Gradient: A Statistical Tables Book Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the new gradient of a least squares regression line when the original set of data pairs has been transformed. The formula for finding the gradient is m_gradient = covariance/variance, and by following this formula and using the given data, the new gradient is calculated to be 1/2. One of the speakers also suggests another method for finding the gradient by considering the transformation of the data pairs. The book mentioned in the conversation is a statistical tables book.
steven10137

Homework Statement

I have have a set of data pairs (x, y);
(1, a)
(2, b)
(3, c)
(4, d)
(5, e)
(6, f)
(7, g)

The least squares regression line for the this set is y=3x-12

Determine the new gradient of this line if the original set of scores has been transformed to;

(6, a+3)
(12, b+3)
(18, c+3)
(24, d+3)
(30, e+3)
(36, f+3)
(42, g+3)

i.e. the x scores have been multiplied by 6, and the +3 has been added to the y scores.
Now from my statistical tables book; I have the formula;
[tex]m_{gradient} = \frac{{{\rm{covariance}}}}{{{\rm{variance}}}} = \frac{{S_{xy} }}{{S_{x^2 } }}[/tex]

how can I find the new gradient?

The answer says;
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
m_{gradient} = \frac{{{\rm{covariance}}}}{{{\rm{variance}}}} = \frac{{S_{xy} }}{{S_{x^2 } }} = \frac{{ \times 6}}{{ \times 36}} = \times \frac{1}{6} \\
Hence\;gradient\;is\;now\;3 \times \frac{1}{6} = \frac{1}{2} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

I don't really understand how this process works and don't want to assume anything that is wrong

thanks in advance
Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert on statistics but I know that the "gradient" of a line is just its slope. I would have done this, ignoring all the statistical stuff, by arguing that y is now yold+ 3 and x is now 6xold so that yold= y- 3 and xold= x/6. Since you are told that yold= 3xold- 12, you now have y-3= 3(x/6)- 12 or simply y= x/2- 15. The slope (gradient) of that line is 1/2.

Cheers for that HallsofIvy!

seems like the obvious thing to do looking back lol

thanks!

hi steven10137,
can you please tell me the name of the book from where you read this formula
of gradient and correlation.

Related to Finding the New Gradient: A Statistical Tables Book Guide

1. What is correlation and gradient?

Correlation and gradient are two statistical concepts that are used to analyze the relationship between two variables. Correlation measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two variables, while gradient (also known as slope) measures the rate of change of one variable with respect to the other.

2. How is correlation calculated?

Correlation is calculated using a statistical measure called the correlation coefficient, which ranges from -1 to 1. A positive correlation coefficient indicates a positive relationship between the variables, while a negative correlation coefficient indicates a negative relationship. A correlation coefficient of 0 indicates no linear relationship between the variables.

3. What is the significance of correlation and gradient in scientific research?

Correlation and gradient are important tools in scientific research as they help scientists understand the relationship between two variables and make predictions based on their findings. They are commonly used in fields such as psychology, economics, and biology to analyze data and draw conclusions.

4. Can correlation and gradient be used to determine causation?

No, correlation and gradient only measure the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables, but they do not imply causation. In order to establish causation, further research and experimentation is needed.

5. How can correlation and gradient be graphically represented?

Correlation can be graphically represented using a scatter plot, where each data point represents the value of the two variables. The slope of the line of best fit on the scatter plot represents the gradient. A steeper slope indicates a higher gradient, while a flatter slope indicates a lower gradient.