1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the number of electrons?

1. Aug 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was asked to find number of electrons passing through a wire giving only resistance.

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR
    I = dQ/dt
    n= Q/e

3. The attempt at a solution
    It's pretty straight forward, with direct substitution of the equations with the written order.
    I could attempt this assuming V = 1 V but, is there another way to get this with only the value of R and I'm not seeing it??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2017 #2
    Do note that you also have to assume the time (t) as well as the voltage.
    Therefore I believe the values of V and Time(t) don't matter so long as they have a relationship such that V times Time t gives you 1, given the relationship they have in the derived equation.

4. Aug 2, 2017 #3
    forgot to mention that he did mention it's number of electrons passing through xx ohms in one second.

Correct me if wrong, your suggestion is:
    n=Q/e=Idt/e= (V/R)dt/e=(V/dt) R/e and assuming V/dt = 1 but I'm not how does that work if I look at it dimensionally using units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted