Finding the Optimal Lens Position for a Sharp Image of a Candle

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a lens with a focus length of 21 cm between a candle and a screen, in order to produce a sharp image on the screen. The thin lens formula is mentioned as a potential solution, with the distance x being able to be found through the equation 1/x + 1/(1.8-x) = 1/0.21. The individual expressing confusion has spent three hours trying to figure out the problem and is seeking guidance.
roncool11
A candle is placed 1.8 m from a screen. whereshould a lens of focus length 21 cm (0.21 m) be placed between the screen and the candle to prduce a sharp image screen?

The only formula i could think of was 1/f=1/do+1/di

I've now spent 3 hours on this (test tomorrow) and still don't know where to start. I have that first formula and the only other formula we've used had to do with magnification and object height. I am truly lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Looks like the thin lens formula applies here doesn't it?

So ... won't the distance x be able to be found by

1/x + 1/(1.8 - x) = 1/.21 ?

I understand your frustration and the importance of finding the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle. To solve this problem, we can use the thin lens equation, which is 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the lens, do is the distance from the object (candle) to the lens, and di is the distance from the lens to the image (screen).

In this case, we know that the focal length of the lens is 0.21 m and the distance from the candle to the screen is 1.8 m. We can plug these values into the equation and solve for di, which will give us the distance from the lens to the screen where a sharp image will be produced.

1/0.21 = 1/1.8 + 1/di

4.76 = 0.56 + 1/di

1/di = 4.76 - 0.56

1/di = 4.2

di = 1/4.2

di = 0.238 m

Therefore, the lens should be placed 0.238 m from the screen to produce a sharp image.

I hope this helps and good luck on your test tomorrow! Remember to always double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

Related to Finding the Optimal Lens Position for a Sharp Image of a Candle

What is the purpose of finding the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle?

The purpose of finding the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle is to ensure that the resulting image is clear and in focus. This is important for accurately capturing the details and beauty of the candle, whether for scientific or artistic purposes.

What factors affect the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle?

The main factors that affect the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle are the distance between the candle and the lens, the focal length of the lens, and the aperture size. Other factors such as lighting, camera settings, and the quality of the lens can also play a role.

How can I determine the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle?

The best way to determine the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle is through trial and error. Start by adjusting the distance between the candle and the lens, and then fine-tune the focal length and aperture size until you achieve a clear and sharp image. Taking test shots and reviewing them on a computer or camera screen can also help in finding the optimal position.

Why is it important to find the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle?

Finding the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle is important because it can greatly impact the quality of the resulting image. A poorly focused image can be blurry and lack detail, while a well-focused image can be sharp and visually appealing. In addition, finding the optimal position can also improve the overall efficiency and accuracy of the image capture process.

Are there any techniques or tips for finding the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle?

One technique for finding the optimal lens position for a sharp image of a candle is called the "focusing trick." This involves setting the lens to manual focus and then moving it back and forth until the image appears sharpest. Another tip is to use a tripod to stabilize the camera and lens, as this can help with achieving a sharper image. Additionally, experimenting with different camera settings and lighting can also lead to finding the optimal position for a sharp candle image.