Finding the positive x-value on a hyperbola

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use Newton's Method to find the positive x-value for a point on a hyperbola with axes rotated from the standard position. The first step is to substitute the given y-value into the equation and rearrange to find f(x). Then, a starting x-value is needed to solve for the answer. It is suggested to use a point on a negative parabola to avoid overshooting. Doing an approximate curve sketch can help in selecting a reasonable point. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the successful solving of the question.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

The curve y^2-3xy+2x^2=4 is a hyperbola with axes rotated from the standard position. Use Newton's Method to find the positive x-value to four decimal places for the point on the hyperbola where y=1.

Homework Equations

Newton's Method

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the first part of Newton's Method by finding the derivative of the equation given, but I don't know how to find f(x) to finish of the formula. I've figured that you can simply plug the y-value into the given equation, make it equal to zero, and then plug it in for f(x), but then I do not know the starting value to use for x. I know how to use Newton's Method and find the derivative, but for this question I just don't know how to find f(x) and the starting x-value needed to solve for the answer. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi emethyst

first substitute y = 1 into your equation and rearrange for

so it looks like
f(x) = 0
and you want to find x that satisfies the equation

this will be a quadratic so you could in fact solve it, and use the quadratic equation as a check

then think about a negative parabola (which is what f(x) is...) where would you want to pick a point so that you Newton iterations find the positive x value & don't over shoot in the process

doing an approximate curve sketch might help...
what is the turning point, and where does the curve intersect f(x) axis when x is zero, should be enough to pick a reasonable point

Thanks for all the help lanedance, I can say I successfully solved that question now :smile:

1. How do I find the positive x-value on a hyperbola?

To find the positive x-value on a hyperbola, you can use the equation of the hyperbola and solve for the positive x-value. You can also graph the hyperbola and visually determine the positive x-value.

2. What is the equation for finding the positive x-value on a hyperbola?

The equation for finding the positive x-value on a hyperbola is x = c/a, where c is the distance from the center to the focus and a is the distance from the center to the vertex on the x-axis.

3. Are there any restrictions when finding the positive x-value on a hyperbola?

Yes, there are two restrictions when finding the positive x-value on a hyperbola. First, the hyperbola must be in standard form, which is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1. Second, the hyperbola must have a positive value for a, the distance from the center to the vertex on the x-axis.

4. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the positive x-value on a hyperbola?

No, the Pythagorean theorem cannot be used to find the positive x-value on a hyperbola. The Pythagorean theorem only applies to right triangles, but a hyperbola is a curved shape and does not have any right angles.

5. How does finding the positive x-value on a hyperbola relate to real-world applications?

Finding the positive x-value on a hyperbola can be used in real-world applications such as engineering and physics. For example, in satellite communication, the hyperbola is used to determine the location of a satellite based on the time it takes for signals to travel between the satellite and two ground stations. The positive x-value on the hyperbola can help determine the satellite's position in relation to the ground stations.