1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find two points with opposite x-values?

1. Nov 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two points on the curve y = x^3 / (1 + x^4) have opposite x-values, x and -x. Find the points making the slope of the line joining them greatest.

2. Relevant equations

Not certain which equations I'd need here, because I don't know how to begin solving this...

3. The attempt at a solution

I got nothin'. :( I'm really puzzled by this one and don't even know how to start to solve it.

I thought of taking the derivative and finding the critical points (maxima/minima), then seeing if they had opposite x-values, but that certainly wouldn't work, it doesn't even make sense.

Do I need to graph the function and figure it out from that? Somehow I get the feeling that I can solve this without graphing it, though.

I'm definitely not asking for a solution because I want to understand this problem... just point me in the right direction to get started? I'd appreciate it very much! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are asked about the line joining the points at (x, f(x)) and (-x, f(-x)) on the graph of the function [itex]f(x) = x^3 / (1 + x^4)[/itex].
    So how about you try to write down the equation of that line?
    In fact, let's start by finding the slope.

4. Nov 20, 2011 #3
    Thanks CompuChip! I did what you suggested and ended up getting x^2 / (1 + x^4) as the slope of the line, and y = (x^2 / (1 + x^4))x + b as the equation of the line.

Still not seeing what I need to do next, though. :( I'm not understanding how to find b, or how I get x and -x out of this...

5. Nov 20, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question asked you to find the maximum slope.

RGV

6. Nov 20, 2011 #5
    Do I need to start by taking the derivative? I found the slope of the line joining x and -x, and now I'm not sure what to do with it.

7. Nov 20, 2011 #6
    You know a function for the slope. Maybe you know a way to find the maxima of a function?

8. Nov 27, 2011 #7
    Sorry for replying so late to you all - I ignored my homework over Thanksgiving break, lol - but just wanted to say that I finally figured out how to solve this problem. YAY. Thank you so much to everyone who nudged me in the right direction. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook