Finding the potential difference between 2 points in a circuit

In summary: It would have been nice if you had explained what you did to get the right answer.In summary, the method accepted in this conversation involves splitting 2V equally between the two 5kohm resistors, resulting in 0.8V and 1.2V across the 2kohm and 3kohm resistors, respectively. The potential difference across points P and Q is then calculated as 0.2V. However, this explanation does not include all the necessary steps for a complete understanding.
ellieee
Homework Statement
nil
Relevant Equations
nil
CamScanner 07-28-2021 07.37.jpg

is this method accepted?
2V is split equally between the 2 5kohms resistor because they are of equal resistance.
2V=5kohms
2kohms= 0.8V
3kohms=1.2V.
p.d across P and Q= 1V-0.8V=0.2V

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
See also "Wheatstone Bridge."

You've left out a step that one would normally want to include on a test (show HOW you got 1.2v and .8v using current, but certainly you have the right answer and, I think, the right idea.

You have left out two steps in my opinion.

The first step is as indicated by @phinds too at post #3, you need to show why the voltage splits to 0.8 and 1.2V given that the resistors are ##2k\Omega## and ##3k\Omega##.

The second step, which might be scrutiny, however I consider it necessary is if we call O the upper end of resistor of ##5k\Omega## and R the upper end of resistor of ##2k\Omega## and given that ##V_{OP}=1V## and ##V_{RQ}=0.8V## to prove that ##V_{QP}=0.2V##, and given of course that ##V_{OR}=0## since points O and R are connected with a conductor of zero resistance. This step is also related to whether the problem want us to find ##V_{PQ}## or ##V_{QP}##. It turns out that ##V_{PQ}=-0.2V##!

Delta2 said:
why the voltage splits to 0.8 and 1.2V given that the resistors are 2kΩ and 3kΩ.
2V=5kohms
2kohms= 0.8V
3kohms=1.2V.
is this explanation not sufficient ?

ellieee said:
2V=5kohms
2kohms= 0.8V
3kohms=1.2V.
It is mostly correct but omits many intermediate steps, outlined in my post #4. If I was your grader I might have cut you up to 40% of the total points.
Tell me how did you calculate that the voltage of 2V splits to 0,8V and 1.2V?

ellieee said:
2V=5kohms
2kohms= 0.8V
3kohms=1.2V.
No, as we keep telling you, you are leaving out steps. Yes, you got the right answer but you could have been guessing for all one can tell from that statement.

Likes Delta2

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the energy required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the two points in the circuit. The voltmeter measures the difference in electric potential between the two points and displays it in volts.

3. What factors affect potential difference?

The potential difference between two points in a circuit is affected by the current flowing through the circuit, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Changes in any of these factors can cause a change in potential difference.

4. How does potential difference impact the flow of electricity?

Potential difference is what drives the flow of electricity in a circuit. It creates an electric field that pushes charged particles, such as electrons, from a higher potential to a lower potential. The greater the potential difference, the greater the force acting on the charged particles and the higher the current flow.

5. How can potential difference be calculated?

Potential difference can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that potential difference (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This can be written as V = IR. By knowing the current and resistance in a circuit, the potential difference can be calculated.