Finding the residue of a singularity

In summary, the function (e^z)/(1 - (e^z)) has a singularity at z=0. By rewriting it as -1 /(z + z^2/2! + z^3/3! +...), it can be seen that it does not behave at z=0. It is not a simple pole, but rather an essential singularity with an infinite number of negative power terms in its Laurent series. However, by multiplying the function by z, it can be shown that the singularity is actually of order 1 and the residue at z=0 is g(0).
annawells

Homework Statement

The following function has a singularity at z=0
(e^z)/(1 - (e^z))
decide if its removable/a pole/essential, and determine the residue

The Attempt at a Solution

I played with the function and saw it can be re-written as: -1 /(z + z^2/2! + z^3/3! +...)

In this case, the function still does not "behave" at z=0, so do i need to find a different expansion? I am all out of ideas!

(note: i know that as well as z=0, we also have singularities at z=2ki'pi' for k in Z, but the question just wants the nature of the singularity at z=0)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
an essential singularity gives infinite negative power terms in the laurent series, so you could look at that...

though looking at the form you have found, which appears to be singular at z = 0, you could try multplying by z, then see if you still have a singular function...

Thanks for the idea.
I am not quite sure how to pursue it. To show it is an essential singularity, don't i need to "produce" the laurent series, or at least show that it has infinite negative terms? I don't know how to break up the fraction to do that!? maybe this is more of a problem with my general algebra!
What do you mean when you say multiply by z? doesn't that just change the thing altogether?
On the wikipedia page you linked to, i tried to do it the lmiit way. but, in the form I have it in, limf(z) doesn't exist, but the lim(1/f(z)) does exists =0, so that applies to case 3 which says that f is a pole of f ? but then, isn't it a pole of infinite order...so it "becomes" an essential singularity?
thanks
Anna

welcome to pf by the way... you can write equations pretty easy use tex tags, click on the equation below to see how its written

[tex] f(z) = \frac{e^z}{1-e^z}[/tex]

so, why do you think it is a pole of infinite order?

what I was saying, was have a look at how the function [itex] g(z) = z f(z) [/itex] behaves as [itex] z \to 0[/itex]? what does that tell you about the nature of the function f?

Thanks, I was wondering how people made the functions look nice on here! i have often found answers here, but never posted before; thanks for the welcome :-)

well, when z --> 0, we have the zf(z)--> -1

i am not sure what that says about the nature of a function? if 0 were a simple pole, then that would tell us that it had a residue of -1 at z=0?

i thought it was a pole of infinite order because it had infinitely increasing powers of z in the denominator? but,i guess that they all correspond to the same singularity, does that mean its a simple pole?

Anna

Been a while since I've done some complex analysis, but as you can write [itex] f(z) = \frac{g(z)}{z}[/itex], where g(z) is a well behaved function, then it shows z=0 is pole of order 1 for f(z).

In your expansion, close to zero, [itex]|z^2| < |z|[/itex], so its really only the first term that counts.

In an essential singularity [itex] f(z)z^n[/itex] is still singular, for any n

okay, thanks a lot! i didnt know that thing about g(z)/z , thanks. but then, what is the residue at the singularity? its the coefficient of the "1/z" term, and here that looks to be g(z) though its not exactly a coefficient,its a series!

not quite, you would have to expand it to be in laurent series form, though it falls out when you multple the function by z
[tex]Res(f,0) = \lim_{z \to 0} zf(z) = g(0)[/tex]

thanks a million!

no worries ;)

Related to Finding the residue of a singularity

What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in space where the laws of physics break down and traditional mathematical equations no longer apply. It is often associated with extreme conditions, such as infinite density and infinite gravity.

Why is it important to find the residue of a singularity?

Finding the residue of a singularity can help us better understand the physical properties and behavior of these extreme points in space. It can also provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics and potentially lead to new theories and advancements in science.

How is the residue of a singularity calculated?

The residue of a singularity is typically calculated using advanced mathematical models and equations, such as those found in theoretical physics and astrophysics. These calculations may involve complex integrals and numerical techniques.

What are some potential applications of understanding singularity residues?

Understanding singularity residues can have various applications in different fields of science, such as cosmology, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics. It can also have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and space exploration.

Is it possible to physically observe a singularity?

Currently, it is not possible to physically observe a singularity due to their extreme nature and location in space. However, scientists can indirectly study and infer information about singularities through observations of their effects on surrounding matter and space.