Calculating the Required Section Modulus for a 200mm Wide Flange Beam

• Thread starter joemama69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, to determine the required section modulus for a 200mm wide flange beam with a concentrated load of 22.5kN, the Moment of inertia, M, must be found. Then, the Maximum shear stress, P, must be determined. Finally, the section modulus, S, must be calculated.
joemama69

Homework Statement

A simple beam of length L = 5m carries a uniform load of intensity q = 5.8kN/m and a concentratexd load 22.5kN. Assuming stress allow = 110MPa, calculate the required section modulus S. Then select a 200mm wide flange beam (W shape) from the table. recalculate S taking into account the weight of the beam. select a new 200mm beam if neccessary.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Of first I was trying to calculate the Mmax and i made a boo boo somwhere.

First I found the Moment about A

0 = 5.8(5)(2.5) + 22.5(3.5) - 5RB... RB = 30.25kN

About B

0 = 22.5(1.5) + 5.8(5)(2.5) - 5RA... RA = 21.25kN

Then so determine the Maximum Moment I was preparing the Shear & moment graphs. I took x starting from the left where x = 0 @ A

0<x<3.5

Force sum in y = 0 = RA - qx - V... V = 21.25 - 5.8x
Sum of M = 0 = RAx - qx2/2 - M... M = 21.25x - 2.9x2

3.5<x<5

Force in y = 0 = RA - qx - P -V... V = -1.25 - 5.8x
Sum of M = 0 = RAx - qx2/2 - 22.5(x - 3.5) - M... M = 78.75 - 1.25x - 2.9x2

when I graph the V's, the lines do not intersect... did i do something wrong. Would it even matter as long as I did the M's correctly. Could someone just double check my work.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 295
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look OK. Max moment occurs at point of zero shear. Draw a shear diagram. There is an abrupt change in shear at the applied concentrated load. If you plot your 2 shear equations, they won't intersect at a common point because of the concentrated load discontinuity.

ok i found V = 0 @ x = 3.664

So pluged this into the second M equation and got Mmax = 35.7kN*m

S = M/[tex]\sigma[/tex] = 3.25X10^-4 what happened here

Your numbers are off a bit...point of zero shear ocurs at the concentratd load at x =3.5 m. M_max at that point is about 40 kN-m. Then when you calculate S, the result is in m^3. (i don't work in SI units, so i don't have a feel for the numbers)

I would suggest going back and checking your calculations to ensure that you have not made any errors. It is important to have accurate values for the reactions and maximum moment in order to properly calculate the required section modulus. Additionally, I would recommend using a more systematic approach to solving the problem, such as using the method of sections or the moment-area method. This will help to avoid any mistakes and provide a more accurate solution.

Once you have confirmed your values, you can use the equation S = Mmax / (allowable stress) to calculate the required section modulus. From there, you can refer to the table of standard beam sizes to select a 200mm wide flange beam with a sufficient section modulus.

Taking into account the weight of the beam will change the reactions and therefore the maximum moment, so it is important to recalculate these values before selecting a new beam if necessary. It may also be helpful to consult a structural engineering handbook or software to ensure that the selected beam is appropriate for the given loading conditions.

1. How do I determine the right beam size for my project?

The size of the beam needed for a project depends on several factors, such as the load it will be supporting, the span of the beam, and the type of material it is made of. It is best to consult a structural engineer for an accurate determination of the right beam size.

2. What is the difference between wood, steel, and composite beams?

Wood beams are typically used for smaller residential projects and have a natural aesthetic appeal. Steel beams are stronger and can support larger loads, making them suitable for commercial or industrial projects. Composite beams, made of a combination of materials, offer a balance of strength and cost-effectiveness.

3. How do I know if my beam is strong enough?

To determine if your beam is strong enough, you need to calculate the maximum load it will be subjected to and compare it to the beam's load-bearing capacity. This calculation should be done by a structural engineer to ensure accuracy.

4. Can I use multiple smaller beams instead of one large beam?

In some cases, using multiple smaller beams can be a suitable alternative to a single large beam. However, the size, spacing, and connections of the smaller beams must be carefully calculated to ensure they can effectively support the load.

5. How do I ensure the beam is installed correctly?

The proper installation of a beam is crucial for its structural integrity. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the appropriate hardware and tools. It is also recommended to have a professional contractor oversee the installation process to ensure it is done correctly and safely.