1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the stress of a rigid beam

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    The question is simple.

i want to find the stress of a rectangular beam freely supported at both ends. A load F is acting in the middle.

I know that stress = moment / inertia

also inertia = (b h ^3 ) / 12

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2
    I think you have your equation wrong. I think what you want is
    sigma = M*c/I
    so, figure out M, c, and I and go to it.

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3
    can you explain please how to proceed with that. i have been struggling for days

5. Apr 5, 2009 #4
    i know that both sides there are 2 vertical forces acting upwards F/2

6. Apr 5, 2009 #5
    You'd have to find out the maximum moment which is at the middle, by multiplying either reaction by the half-span (distance from end to middle).

As Dr. D said, the maximum (bending) stress is My/I.
    M has already been determined above, you'd need to determine for the beam cross section
    y = distance between the neutral axis and the distance at which stress is required (usually top or bottom edge)
    I = second moment of area.

You only have to do a little google search to find out how these quantities are calculated, if you missed your class and do not have a textbook on Strength of Materials.

7. Apr 6, 2009 #6
    if the length is L and the load is at the middle.

The moment, M is L/2 x F /2 ?

is y also L/2 ?

8. Apr 6, 2009 #7
    Look at what mathmate said about y. The neutral axis is a horizontal line (for a horizontal beam). Do you want the bending stress at a point L/2 above the neutral axis, which in this case is the midplane?

9. Apr 8, 2009 #8
    The maximum moment and hence highest stress is indeed situated at x = L/2, however the flexure formula above is used to calculate the stress distribution within a certain cross-section, as such the y is a coordinate within this cross-section. It has nothing to do with the dimensions of the beam itself. The distribution will look like this:

http://en.wikivisual.com/images/3/3a/Internal_Forces_and_Stresses_from_Bending.png

If your goal is to calculate the maximum stresses then the above equation may be used whereby y is the largest distance from the neutral axis (as already stated), and would in this case be h/2.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook