Finding the terminal velocity of a model rocket from a list of velocities

In summary: You can graphing the data, but it's easier if you have the velocity at a certain point in the flight (e.g. at apogee). You could also use a computer program to do the calculation.You experimentally measured the height as a function of time from a freefall of 20k ft?Yes, the height data goes up to apogee only. So from launch to burnout and then to apogee. After 5ish seconds of burn time, it just coasts another few thousand feet to apogee. then the recovery system deploys, so very very little free fall data.The goal is to find the drag coefficient of
erobz said:
Also correct, the β values fluctuate around because of the instrument you used. This is the difference between Accuracy and precision. If you want both in an instrument you usually have to pay 💰. The hope in using the average values was that the “truth” was somewhere in the middle.
ok, thats what i thought. I told that to my professor and he didnt have time to think about my response during the team meeting and he looked confused haha, but i re-assured him that a $80 sensor may not be the most accurate and precise.

the "truth" being the consistent beta values that give me consistent Cd's right?

thanks

Likes erobz
Physics news on Phys.org
LT72884 said:
ok, thats what i thought. I told that to my professor and he didnt have time to think about my response during the team meeting and he looked confused haha, but i re-assured him that a $80 sensor may not be the most accurate and precise.

the "truth" being the consistent beta values that give me consistent Cd's right?

thanks
Correct.

So are you ready to write this last equation and find terminal velocity yet?

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
Correct.

So are you ready to write this last equation and find terminal velocity yet?
i think so haha. I just got home from my 3 hour train ride from school.

Which equation should i start with? or is it a whole new equation you have in mind?

thanks

LT72884 said:
so what is happening at 200m/s with this graph? thats where the system settles too. Is this terminal velocity?

No, that's just where you're going fast enough to have a decent amount of drag-induced acceleration, giving you fairly clean data. Cd should be (largely) independent of speed in the subsonic regime for a rocket-shaped object, and that's just where your data is good enough to observe that.

(For an example of what much cleaner drag data looks like for a rocket, here is an actual measured drag profile from a friend of mine).
LT72884 said:
I am not sure if it is or not because using the Vt calculation using my 0.62 Cd, density, etc, i get that Vt is close to 600m/s
View attachment 323073

thanks
The biggest problem with that is that 600m/s is well supersonic, and thus your real terminal velocity would be lower thanks to the drag rise that occurs at mach (as seen in my sample data above). I'd also note that your very high sectional density is actually making your data a lot muddier - since you're limited by accelerometer resolution, you'd get much better data with a rocket with higher drag relative to weight, but obviously that goes against the general design goals here.

Also, I'm curious what motor you used here, since your frontal area makes this seem like a 54mm MD rocket, and it's not exactly common to get to 20,000 feet on a 54mm motor.

Likes LT72884 and erobz
LT72884 said:
i think so haha. I just got home from my 3 hour train ride from school.

Which equation should i start with? or is it a whole new equation you have in mind?

thanks
Newton’s 2nd Law for the rocket in free fall.

Likes LT72884
cjl said:
No, that's just where you're going fast enough to have a decent amount of drag-induced acceleration, giving you fairly clean data. Cd should be (largely) independent of speed in the subsonic regime for a rocket-shaped object, and that's just where your data is good enough to observe that.

(For an example of what much cleaner drag data looks like for a rocket, here is an actual measured drag profile from a friend of mine).
The biggest problem with that is that 600m/s is well supersonic, and thus your real terminal velocity would be lower thanks to the drag rise that occurs at mach (as seen in my sample data above). I'd also note that your very high sectional density is actually making your data a lot muddier - since you're limited by accelerometer resolution, you'd get much better data with a rocket with higher drag relative to weight, but obviously that goes against the general design goals here.

Also, I'm curious what motor you used here, since your frontal area makes this seem like a 54mm MD rocket, and it's not exactly common to get to 20,000 feet on a 54mm motor.
My friend (someone from the rocket forums) used an L1030 motor.

You are correct that it is a 54mm rocket.
Ok, for the Cd and 200m/s that makes sense. I was thinking it was either that or vt. I have loved every step of this project because i have learned so much from you guys.
1677776059890.png

Last edited:
erobz said:
Newton’s 2nd Law for the rocket in free fall.
well, no time like the present. Lets give it a go.
ok, we know that F=ma
and in free fall, a=0
so i would have 0=mg-kvt where kvt or kv is pointing up on a FBD and mg is down
but before velocity is terminal, so just kv we would have
ma=mg-kv
a=dv/dt
m(dv/dt)=mg-kv
i can seperate and solve the integration if needs be?

LT72884 said:
well, no time like the present. Lets give it a go.
ok, we know that F=ma
and in free fall, a=0
so i would have 0=mg-kvt where kvt or kv is pointing up on a FBD and mg is down
but before velocity is terminal, so just kv we would have
ma=mg-kv
a=dv/dt
m(dv/dt)=mg-kv
i can seperate and solve the integration if needs be?
where did you get ##kv##? Do you not remember the whole thing was about quadratic drag?

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
where did you get ##kv##? Do you not remember the whole thing was about quadratic drag?
just from a basic FBD. so technically it should be kv^2 or the Bv^2.. i did forget about the quadratic drag haha
1677791342086.png

Likes erobz
Good, so rewrite it. After you have done that set the acceleration to 0, and solve the resulting equation.

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
Good, so rewrite it. After you have done that set the acceleration to 0, and solve the resulting equation.
Vt = sqrt(-mg/k)

LT72884 said:
Vt = sqrt(-mg/k)
Are you going to get a real result when you take the square root of that? What equation did you algebraically manipulate to get that result?

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
Are you going to get a real result when you take the square root of that?
nope, it will be imaginary. i am trying to see which way to solve this.

LT72884 said:
nope, it will be imaginary. i am trying to see which way to solve this.
You didn't solve the equation you wrote??? Pick a direction as positive. Label all forces on rocket relative to that chosen direction. Please list that full equation in your next reply.

erobz said:
You didn't solve the equation you wrote??? Pick a direction as positive. Label all forces on rocket relative to that chosen direction. Please list that full equation in your next reply.
i solved for v which then becomes imaginary due to the negative in the sqrt. so i need to solve for v a different way. ok, iw ill write soon

LT72884 said:
i solved for v which then becomes imaginary due to the negative in the sqrt. so i need to solve for v a different way. ok, iw ill write soon
you clearly solved a different equation from what you were writing ( as far as the directions of the forces go), or you made a trivial algebra mistake.

with m(dv/dt) = mg-kv^2
and if i set dv/dt = a = 0
therefore 0=mg-kv^2
then solve for v using the correct signs
kv^2 = mg
v^2=(mg)/k
v=sqrt(mg/k)
if i am misunderstanding you, im sorry haha:)

LT72884 said:
with m(dv/dt) = mg-kv^2
and if i set dv/dt = a = 0
therefore 0=mg-kv^2
then solve for v using the correct signs
kv^2 = mg
v^2=(mg)/k
v=sqrt(mg/k)
if i am misunderstanding you, im sorry haha:)
Ok, that’s better. So what did you get for the terminal velocity?

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
Ok, that’s better. So what did you get for the terminal velocity?
just making sure but K is the same as Beta right?
give me a few moments to get this calculated. might be about an hour or so. had something come up that is very important

LT72884 said:
just making sure but K is the same as Beta right?
give me a few moments to get this calculated. might be about an hour or so. had something come up that is very important
Yeah. k is β. No hurry.

erobz said:
Yeah. k is β. No hurry.
average terminal velocity is 234.68. IF this was free fall... but we know its not

Last edited:
Likes erobz
LT72884 said:
average terminal velocity is 234.68. IF this was free fall... but we know its not
thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it alot. Our actual project is to design an active drag system for our rocket. This ADS will be used to slow the rocket down to achieve as close to 10,000 feet as possible. so far our design is pretty cool.

LT72884 said:
thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it alot. Our actual project is to design an active drag system for our rocket. This ADS will be used to slow the rocket down to achieve as close to 10,000 feet as possible. so far our design is pretty cool.
Well, best of luck out there, and have fun with the rest of it!

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
Well, best of luck out there, and have fun with the rest of it!
thank you very much my friend:) your an excellent teacher

Likes berkeman and erobz
Just an amateur, but thanks for the compliment. :smile:

Likes LT72884
well, better than me haha. i taught high school math for a few years, but physics was never my strong suite haha.