Finding the upper bound

In summary, the conversation discusses how to establish an upper bound on the number of white balls in a container with a certain number of total balls, given the number of balls picked and the percentage of black balls. The conversation also mentions the use of statistics and equations to solve this type of problem and provides a helpful resource for further information.
kenewbie
Say I have a container with room for B balls. I know that there are black and white balls but I don't know the ratio between them.

Say I pick P balls, and R% are black. How can I use this information to establish an upper bound on the number of white balls, with C% certainty?

To give a specific example:

I have 1000 Balls, I pick 10 and they are all black. If I want to be 98% certain, what is the upper bound on the number of white balls?

I don't know any statistics beyond simple elementary probabilities, so I have no idea how to approach this. Some help with setting up an equation that I can use to solve these kinds of problems would be much appreciated.

Edit:

I've been thinking about it and I believe I can get some of the way towards an answer. For any given number of white balls, I can get the probability for that particular setup. Let's say that there was 100 white balls; the probability of me getting 10 black would then be

[tex]\frac{\binom{900}{10} \binom{100}{0}}{\binom{1000}{10}}[/tex]

I guess I could start at the probability of 990 white balls, add that together with the probability of 989 white balls, and keep going until I get to 98%, but there must be a better solution? This summation solution works for this example, but it gets pretty unfeasible if I have something like 10^31 balls.

k

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What is "Finding the upper bound"?

"Finding the upper bound" refers to the process of determining the maximum possible value for a given set of data or parameters.

2. Why is it important to find the upper bound?

Finding the upper bound is important because it helps to establish the limits of a system or process, allowing for better understanding and prediction of outcomes.

3. What methods can be used to find the upper bound?

There are several methods that can be used to find the upper bound, including mathematical calculations, statistical analysis, and experimental testing.

4. What are some examples of finding the upper bound in real-world situations?

Finding the upper bound is commonly used in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, it may be used to determine the maximum production capacity of a factory or the maximum load a bridge can support.

5. Can the upper bound change over time?

Yes, the upper bound can change over time as new data and information become available. It is important to regularly reassess and update the upper bound to ensure accurate predictions and decision-making.