Finding the velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars

In summary: No need to calculate H(1), or resort to a calculator (or the quadratic formula) to factorise the result:\begin{split}\lim_{t \to 1} \frac{H(t)- H(1)}{t - 1} &= \lim_{t \to 1} \frac{10t - 1.96t^2 - (10 \times 1 - 1.86 \times 1^2)}{t - 1} \\&= \lim_{t \to 1} \frac{10(t-1) - 1.86(t^2 - 1^2)}{t-1} \\&= \lim_{t
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1682397665175.png

The answer is ##6.28 m/s##, however, I got ##-314 m/s## and I am not sure what I have done wrong.

My working is,
##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{H(t) - H(1)}{t - 1}##
##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{-1.86t^2 + 10t -8.14}{t - 1}##
##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{(93t - 407)(t - 1)}{t - 1}##
##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} 93t - 407 = -314##

Could someone please point out what I have done wrong?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 325465
The answer is ##6.28 m/s##, however, I got ##-314 m/s## and I am not sure what I have done wrong.

My working is,

Many thanks!
Are line 1 and line 2 equal?

-Dan

Likes ChiralSuperfields
topsquark said:
Are line 1 and line 2 equal?

-Dan
Thank you for your reply @topsquark !

I believe the factorization is correct (I used my graphics calculator to find the roots). The derivative formula I am using is ##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{H(t) - H(1)}{t - 1}##

Many thanks!

Last edited:
ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your reply @topsquark !

I believe the factorization is correct (I used my graphics calculator to find the roots). The derivative formula I am using is ##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{H(t) - H(1)}{t - 1}##

Many thanks!
So, you are saying that
##-1.86 t^2 + 10 t - 8.41 = (93 t - 407)(t - 1)##

FOIL out that RHS, please.

-Dan

Likes ChiralSuperfields
topsquark said:
So, you are saying that
##-1.86 t^2 + 10 t - 8.41 = (93 t - 407)(t - 1)##

FOIL out that RHS, please.

-Dan
Thank you for your reply @topsquark!

True, they are not equal. I need to multiply the right hand ride by a factor of -1.86/93 to make the equations equal. This gives the correct solution.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 325465

My working is,
##H'(t) = \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \frac{H(t) - H(1)}{t - 1}##

Many thanks!

No need to calculate [itex]H(1)[/itex], or resort to a calculator (or the quadratic formula) to factorise the result:[tex]
\begin{split}
\lim_{t \to 1} \frac{H(t)- H(1)}{t - 1} &= \lim_{t \to 1} \frac{10t - 1.96t^2 - (10 \times 1 - 1.86 \times 1^2)}{t - 1} \\
&= \lim_{t \to 1} \frac{10(t-1) - 1.86(t^2 - 1^2)}{t-1} \\
&= \lim_{t \to 1} \frac{10(t-1) -1.86(t + 1)(t - 1)}{t-1} \\
&= \lim_{t \to 1} \left(10 - 1.86(t + 1)\right) \\
&= 10 - 2 \times 1.86.\end{split}[/tex] But you can just differentiate [itex]H[/itex] directly. [tex]\begin{split}
H'(t) &= 10 - 2 \times 1.86 t \\
H'(1) &= 10 - 2 \times 1.86.
\end{split}[/tex]

Likes ChiralSuperfields and topsquark
I am surprised that you have to go to the basic definition of the derivative. The formula for the derivative of a polynomial would be covered very early in any calculus class. You should check whether you are expected to know that formula at this point. If so, you should review basic calculus and make the theorems and formulas in it second nature to you.

Likes ChiralSuperfields, topsquark and hutchphd

1. How is the velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars different from on Earth?

The velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars is different from on Earth because the force of gravity is weaker on Mars. This means that the rock will not accelerate as quickly as it would on Earth, resulting in a lower velocity.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars?

The velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars is affected by the mass of the rock, the force of gravity on Mars, and the initial height at which the rock is thrown. These factors all contribute to the acceleration of the rock and ultimately determine its velocity.

3. Can the velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars be calculated using the same formula as on Earth?

No, the formula for calculating velocity on Earth (v = u + at) cannot be used to calculate the velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars. This is because the acceleration due to gravity (g) is different on Mars compared to Earth.

4. How can the velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars be measured?

The velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars can be measured by using a device such as a radar gun or a high-speed camera. These devices can track the motion of the rock and calculate its velocity based on the time it takes to travel a certain distance.

5. Is the velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars affected by the planet's atmosphere?

Yes, the velocity of a rock thrown vertically on Mars can be affected by the planet's atmosphere. The density and composition of the atmosphere can create air resistance, which can slow down the rock and ultimately affect its velocity. However, the effect of the atmosphere on the velocity of a rock on Mars is much smaller compared to on Earth due to the thinner atmosphere on Mars.