Laplace Transforms: Transfer Functions, and IVT/FVT Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to finding the transfer function of a linear time-invariant causal system. The first problem involves finding the expression for the transfer function, while the second problem involves determining the inverse Laplace transforms, initial values, and final values for two given functions. The conversation also mentions the use of the initial value theorem and final value theorem to find the initial and final values, which were found to be the same regardless of the domain of the function.
ConnorM

Homework Statement

I uploaded the problem statements as a picture as well. I have completed these and was wondering if someone could check my work, and let me know if it is correct.

Problem 1.3:
Find the expression for the transfer function of this linear time-invariant causal system with input [itex]x(t)[/itex] and output [itex]y(t)[/itex].

[itex]H(s) = Y(s) / X(s)[/itex]

[itex]y^{'''} + 5y^{''} + 3y^{'} + y = x^{''} + 4x^{'} + 7x[/itex]

Problem 1.4:
Consider the following Laplace Transforms:

1. [itex]F_1 (s) = {\frac{2(s+2)}{s(s+1)(s+3)}}[/itex]

2. [itex]F_2 (s) = {\frac{s}{s^2 + 2s +10}}[/itex]

(a) Determine the inverse laplace transform for each function.

(b) Determine the initial value [itex]f(0^+)[/itex] (if it exists) for each function using the initial value theorem (IVT).

(c) Determine the final value [itex]f(\infty)[/itex] (if it exists) for each function using the final value theorem (FVT).

(d) Show that the results obtained from using the IVT and FVT are the same as those obtained by directly
evaluating the inverse Laplace transforms.

Homework Equations

IVT - [itex]x(0^+) = \displaystyle\lim_{t\rightarrow 0^+} x(t) = \displaystyle\lim_{s\rightarrow \infty} sX(s)[/itex]

FVT - [itex]x(\infty) = \displaystyle\lim_{t\rightarrow \infty} x(t) = \displaystyle\lim_{s\rightarrow 0} sX(s)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 1.3:

[itex]s^{3}Y(s) + 5s^{2}Y(s) + 3sY(s) + Y(s) = s^{2}X(s) + 4sX(s) + 7X(s)[/itex]

[itex] H(s) = Y(s) / X(s) = {\frac{s^2 + 4s + 7}{s^3 + 5s^2 + 3s + 1}} [/itex]

Problem 1.4:

Here are my inverse Laplace transforms,

1. [itex]f_1 (t) = 4/3 - e^{-t} - e^{-3t}/3[/itex]

2. [itex]f_2 (t) = e^{-t}cos(3t) - e^{-t}sin(3t)/3[/itex]

IVT for 1.

[itex]F_1 (\infty) = 0[/itex], [itex]f_1 (0^+) = 0[/itex]

FVT for 1.

[itex]F_1 (0) = 4/3[/itex], [itex]f_1 (\infty) = 4/3[/itex].

IVT for 2.

[itex]F_2 (\infty) = 1[/itex], [itex]f_2 (0) = 1[/itex]

FVT for 2.

[itex]F_2 (0) = 0[/itex], [itex]f_2 (\infty) = 0[/itex]

Overall I found that the initial values and final value was the same regardless of the domain of the function.

Attachments

• Assignment1-Q3-4.JPG
    Assignment1-Q3-4.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,002
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me!

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze dynamic systems.

2. How does a Laplace Transform relate to Transfer Functions?

Transfer Functions are functions that describe the relationship between input and output variables in a system. The Laplace Transform can be used to convert a system's differential equations into its Transfer Function, allowing for analysis and characterization of the system's behavior.

3. What are IVT and FVT problems in the context of Laplace Transforms?

IVT (Initial Value Theorem) and FVT (Final Value Theorem) are two types of problems that can be solved using Laplace Transforms. IVT problems involve finding the value of a function at a specific point in time, while FVT problems involve finding the value of a function as time approaches infinity.

4. How are Laplace Transforms used in real-world applications?

Laplace Transforms have a wide range of applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. They are commonly used to analyze and design control systems, solve differential equations in circuit analysis, and model dynamic systems in physics and biology.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of calculus to use Laplace Transforms?

While a basic understanding of calculus is required to fully grasp the concepts behind Laplace Transforms, there are many resources and tutorials available to help beginners learn and apply the techniques. With practice and guidance, anyone can learn to use Laplace Transforms effectively.