1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the volume of a sphere with a double integral

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I know how to find the volume of a sphere just by adding the areas of circles, so I decided to do a double integral to find the same volume, just for fun.

Here's what I've set up. I put 8 out front and designed the integrals to find an eighth of a sphere that has its center at the origin. This piece of the sphere is what you would get if you cut a sphere in half three times, one from each of the three dimensions.

8∫010√(1-y2)√(1-x2-y2)dxdy

√(1-x2-y2) is the equation I used to measure the z-dimension of a point on the sphere given values for x and y.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's the integral I got for the inner integration, the one with respect to x:

0√(1-y2)√(1-x2-y2)dx

=[-2x/(2√(1-x2-y2))] with 0 on the bottom and √(1-y2) on the top.

As you can see, if I plug in √(1-y2) for x, the values cancel out so that there is only a zero in the denominator.

Is this simply a limitation in using multiple integration, or did I do something wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2013 #2
    And yes, everything in this proof refers to a sphere with radius 1.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That antiderivative doesn't look correct. Try changing your dxdy integral to polar coordinates. It will be much easier. Otherwise you will need to do a trig substitution.

5. Jun 5, 2013 #4
    Oh hey, I see where I went wrong. I took the derivative when I should have taken the integral. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted