1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the volume of these figures

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the described figures

1. A pyramid with height h and base an equilateral triangle with side a (a tetrahedron).

2. Find the volume common to two spheres each with radius r, if the center of each sphere lies on the surface of the other sphere.

These are hard problems and I really do not know what to do. Our teacher gave this to us as a challenge and I really would like to know how to solve these two. I hope you can help me by explaining each important step you will take. I hope you can make it detailed as much as possible. I really am having a hard time in Calculus. Thanks! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For 1): you can slice the tetrahedron horizontally into pieces of height dz. Then each piece will again be an equilateral triangle whose sides decrease from a at z = 0 to 0 at z = h.

For 2): you can slice the intersection of the spheres into circles of thickness [itex]d\theta[/itex] whose radius [itex]r(\theta)[/itex] increases from [itex]r(\theta = -\pi / 2) = 0[/itex] to [itex]r(\theta = 0) = r[/itex] (see attachment) and you can use some fancy trig work to find the expression for r(theta).

Attached Files:

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It was you the teacher was challenging, not us! There are a number of different ways to do these problems ranging from looking up standard formulas to using Calculus as CompuChip suggests.

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4
    I'm sorry but I don't exactly get it. I'm really having a hard time in Calculus right now.

For #1, what is dz? Just a representation for height? and I can't picture properly the tetrahedron I need to slice.

For #2, I really don't get it. I'm sorry.

I hope you'll still explain it to me.

6. Sep 25, 2011 #5
    I got the 1st one already. Only #2 left.

7. Sep 26, 2011 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here is another hint, hopefully it clarifies a bit better what I meant.
    The volume of the little circular disc (actually, it's a cylinder with radius r and thickness dtheta) that I drew is [itex]\pi r^2 \, d\theta[/itex]. Of course you'll have to express r as a function of theta before you do the integration (and find the appropriate limits for theta).

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook