1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Volume using a triple integral

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid bounded by the cylinder x^2+y^2=9 and the planes y+z=5 and z=1

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    My main problem is setting up the integral. So far what I have is 1 as the integrand, my order of integration is dydxdz and my bounds are 0<z<1 and sqrt(9-x^2)<y<5 and I can't figure out x. Is what I have right? What do I need to do? I am really struggling with setting up the bounds for triple integrals

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Have you drawn a sketch of the solid? Your typical volume element is dy*dx*dz. What are the bounds for y? I.e., y = ?? to y = ??. Then what are the bounds for x?

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    For the bounds, I obtained 0≤x≤3, -sqrt(9-x^2)≤y≤sqrt(9-x^2), and 1≤z≤5-y. You might want to double check it though.

5. Feb 15, 2010 #4
    I forgot to mention I went from 0-3 because I multiplied the integrals by 2.

6. Feb 15, 2010 #5
    I drew it in the xy plane and am looking at it in grapher, I understand the y bounds now, but x and z are still confusing, should x be -3<x<3? I have absolutely no idea how to go about solving for z...

7. Feb 15, 2010 #6

Mark44

Yes, assuming that y is as Dustinfl described.

8. Feb 15, 2010 #7
    You can use -3 to 3 but since it is a circle you can go from 0 to 3 and multiply by 2 to compensate for -3 to 0. There are 2 planes one is at z=1 and the other is y+z=5. If z=0, then y=5 and if y=0, then z=5, where x can be anything.

9. Feb 15, 2010 #8
    Got it! Now I just need to evaluate which shouldn't be a problem, thanks so much!

10. Feb 15, 2010 #9

Mark44

Right. In these types of problems the hardest part is figuring out the limits of integration. Also, Dustinfl's suggestion about exploiting the symmetry is a good one that might reduce the chances of making a calculation error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook