1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the work done by a Stirling Cycle

1. Nov 12, 2016 #1
    1. Given the following p-V diagram of an ideal Stirling Cycle, determine the theoretical values of W12, Q12, W34 and Q34 in terms of T1, T2, V1, V2, n (the number of moles) and R (the universal gas constant). Determine the total theoretical p-V work W12341 for the full cycle.

2. dU = dQ-Pdv

3. I've only just started thermodynamics recently, so my grasp on it is still very weak. I've tried finding W12 using W = -∫pdV but I'm not really sure how that gives me theoretical work. I think I'm supposed to end up with some sort of numerical answer for the final part to compare it with an actual p-V work value and find the efficiency of the Stirling Engine. de424315a5395941d2365d8e794de16e.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2016 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you write W12 = - ∫p dV, both p and V are changing from 1 to 2. How about replacing p with something else using the ideal gas law?

4. Nov 12, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The working fluid in an ideal Stirling cycle engine goes through four processes :

Compression at constant temperature .
    Heat addition at constant volume .
    Expansion at constant temperature .
    Heat removal at constant volume .

Can you identify the four processes on your diagrams ?

What formulas apply to each process ?

Reading material :

Stirling Cycle
    Constant temperature process
    Constant volume process

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  5. Nov 12, 2016 #4
    Oh thank you! Your response was very illuminating. I hope you don't mind but I'd just like to check I've got this right:
    For Isothermal Expansion : W = nRTln[Vf/Vi]
    For Isothermal Compression: W = - nRTln[Vf/Vi]
    For Heat Addition: Q = nCvΔT
    For Heat Removal: Q = - nCvΔT

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted