Finding Thevenin Equivalent circuit (Voc)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding Voc using basic node voltage analysis techniques. The problem is set up using matrix form and solved using both node and mesh analysis methods. However, there is a mistake in the solution provided in the answer key, specifically in the polarity of the 5*I2 term in the first equation, which should be opposite to the I1 terms. The correct answer for Voc is 150V.
Runner 1

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9699560/EE%20Problem.jpg

(I added the text V1, V2, and Voc to the image).
I'm only trying to find Voc because I got the wrong answer. I got Isc correct.

Homework Equations

Basic node voltage analysis techniques.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the bottom-most node be the ground (reference node).

[itex]\begin{array}{rcl}
\dfrac{v_1}{2} + \dfrac{v_1-v_2}{3} & = & 0 \\

\dfrac{v_2-v_1}{3} + \dfrac{v_2-v_{oc}}{5} & = & 10 \\

\dfrac{v_{oc}-v_2}{5} & = & \dfrac{v_x}{4} \\

v_1 & = & v_x
\end{array}[/itex]

These simplify to:

[itex]\begin{array}{rcl}
5v_1 - 2v_2 + 0v_{oc} & = & 0 \\
-5v_1 + 8v_2 - 3v_{oc} & = & 150 \\
5v_1 + 4v_2 - 4v_{oc} & = & 0
\end{array}[/itex]

in matrix form:

[itex]\left[\begin{array}{rrrr}
5 & -2 & 0 & 0 \\
-5 & 8 & -3 & 150 \\
5 & 4 & -4 & 0
\end{array}\right][/itex]

Solving, this gives:

[itex]\begin{array}{cc}
v_1 & = & 40\, V\\
v_2 & = & 100\, V\\
v_{oc} & = & 150\, V
\end{array}[/itex]

However, 150 V is not the correct answer for Voc. Does anyone know where I have made a mistake?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
150V for Voc looks good to me. Perhaps an error in the book?

Okay, I was being a little tricky here because I didn't want to bias anyone with the answer key's method for the solution, but perhaps the difference between my setup and theirs is where the flaw is. Here is how the key does it:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9699560/ee%20problem%202.jpg

It solves the system with mesh analysis -- but it should give the same result either way (node or mesh), shouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it should get the same answer using mesh analysis. There's at least one error in the answer key's workings (I stopped reading after spotting the first error).

Note the indicated directions for the mesh currents, then look at the first equation of the solution. Note any problems?

Okay, thank you.

This question is from a test I took this morning. When I stated "The problem needs to be solved using node voltage analysis, not mesh analysis", that was my own instruction so that responses to my original post would determine the solution in the same manner I did it (because I assumed I was wrong -- not the instructor). On the actual test, either method was acceptable.

I'm still kind of uncertain what error is in the answer key's solution -- is it the fact that Voc is added to the first equation?

Runner 1 said:
I'm still kind of uncertain what error is in the answer key's solution -- is it the fact that Voc is added to the first equation?
Nope. Voc being there is fine. It's the polarity of the 5*I2 term. The solution shows that I1 and I2 flow in opposite directions (clockwise versus counterclockwise), so the I2 term MUST have an opposite sign to the I1 terms in the same equation

Ah, I see it now! Thank you. I suppose I will email the professor.

1. What is a Thevenin Equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin Equivalent circuit is a simplified circuit that represents the behavior of a more complex circuit at a specific terminal. It is a combination of a voltage source and a resistor that can replace the original circuit without changing its behavior at the specified terminal.

2. Why is it important to find the Thevenin Equivalent circuit?

Finding the Thevenin Equivalent circuit allows us to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze. It also helps us understand the behavior of a circuit at a specific terminal, which is often useful in real-world applications.

3. How do you find the Thevenin Equivalent voltage (Voc)?

To find the Thevenin Equivalent voltage, we need to remove all the load components from the circuit and calculate the voltage at the specified terminal. This can be done by using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and solving the resulting equations.

4. How do you find the Thevenin Equivalent resistance (Rth)?

The Thevenin Equivalent resistance can be found by short-circuiting the voltage source and calculating the equivalent resistance between the specified terminal and ground. This can be done by using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and solving the resulting equations.

5. Can the Thevenin Equivalent circuit be used to analyze any circuit?

No, the Thevenin Equivalent circuit can only be used to analyze linear circuits that have a voltage or current source and resistive components. It cannot be used for circuits that have complex components such as capacitors, inductors, or transistors.