1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding two LI solutions by power series

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y'' - xy' + x²y = 0

2. Relevant equations

y = Ʃ An*x^n (from 0 to infinity)
    y' = Ʃ n*An*x^n-1 (from 1 to infinity)
    y'' = Ʃ n*(n-1)*An*x^n-2 (from 2 to infinity)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ʃ n*(n-1)*An*x^n-2 (from 2 to infinity) - Ʃ n*An*x^n (from 1 to infinity) + Ʃ An*x^(n+2) (from 0 to infinity) = 0

k = n-2 on the first sum, so Ʃ n*(n-1)*An*x^n-2 (2 to ∞) = Ʃ (k+2)(k+1)*Ak+2*x^k (0 to ∞)

Then, changing k back to n and joining the sums I got up to

Ʃ[(n+2)*(n+1)*An+2 - n*An]x^n + An*x^(n+2) = 0 (0 to ∞)

and I can't find out what to do with that x^(n+2), should I make n+2 = k and change the sum limits again or what?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Use k=n+2 on the last sum. Write out the n=0 and n=1 terms separately and the remaining terms in the series as a sum from n=2 to infinity.

4. Jun 13, 2012 #3
    I didn't get it, so I should make a sum from 2 on and ignore the smaller terms? I'm really lost here, there are no similar examples in my material (where I have to make the k > n transformation more than once) yet all problems are like this

5. Jun 13, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Well, no, you can't ignore them in the solution, but the summation part will give you the recursion relation you need.

6. Jun 13, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Let me clarify what I meant a bit. You have the following:
    $$\sum_{n=0}^\infty \{[(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2} - na_n]x^n + a_nx^{n+2}\} = 0$$ What I was suggesting was you write it as
    $$2a_2 + (6a_3-a_1)x + \sum_{n=2}^\infty [(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2} - na_n]x^n + \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^{n+2} = 0$$ Both summations now start with the x2 term. Reindex the second one so you can combine them.

7. Jun 15, 2012 #6
    Hey Vela, thanks!
    I got back to the problem this morning and found the expression you wrote. I'm going to finnish it after lunch and post results.

8. Jun 15, 2012 #7
    $$2a_2 + (6a_3-a_1)x + \sum_{n=2}^\infty [(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2} - na_n + a_{n-2}]x^n = 0$$

Ok, I must be doing something very wrong here, tried setting $$a_0 = 1 , a_1 = 0$$ but I can't really take anything usefull out of it

Isn't $$a_0 = 2a_2 = 1$$ in this case?

And after finding one solution, should I set $$a_0 = 0 , a_1 = 1$$ or use D'alembert? Or would both give me the same answer?

9. Jun 15, 2012 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I had Mathematica solve it, and the answer didn't look like it had a simple form.

You should get even and odd solutions, so choosing ##a_0 = 1, a_1 = 0## to get one solution and ##a_0 = 0, a_1 = 1## for the other sounds reasonable.

10. Jun 18, 2012 #9
    Hey vela, thanks again, I came back to this problem today and solved it finnally, I was having trouble finding the recurrence formula a_{k+2}=ka_{k}-a_{k-2}/(k+1)(k+2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook