1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding velocity as a function of time

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    Okay so the problem is that we have the case of a ball being thrown up at initial velocity v° with air resistance expressed as F = -kv where k is a constant acting on it. We are suppose to find a differential equation for the velocity at a given point as a function of time. So I started with
    ƩF = ma
    - mg - kv = ma

Then I moved everything around to get
    dv/dt = (-mg - kv)/m

Now we have never done a solution like this in my AP Physics class so I am rather at a lose. I know that I need to get it so that dv and v are on the same side but I'm not really sure how to go about that so that I can integrate the whole equation to get the solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2
    Try inversing both sides

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    How would I find the inverse of dv/dt we have never done something like that before.

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Take the kv term over to the other side. Multiply both sides by dt. Integrate.
    You will need to remember that the integral of v*dt is distance. It works out nicely this way. I don't understand the inverse method.

6. Feb 29, 2012 #5
    You inverse both sides to get dt/dv = m/(-mg - kv) and then multiply both sides by dv

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook