1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding velocity in terms of variables

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (See attached for labels) After taking off, a helicopter climbs in a straight line at a constant angle beta. Its flight is tracked by radar from point A. Determine the speed of the helicopter in terms of d, beta, theta, and theta dot.

d is the distance from the radar to the initial position of the copter, theta is the angle between the horizontal and the copter, v is the velocity, and beta is the angle the copter moves at.

2. Relevant equations

v = (r dot) e radius + (r * (theta dot))e theta

e radius is the radial component and e theta is the angular component...This is done in polar form. So for those who know, it's the velocity equation in polar form.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, it's asking for the speed, so I know I have to take the radial and angular components, square them, add them, and take the square root (or so I assume). I was also able to split the velocity into vsin(beta) and vcos(beta). Otherwise, I'm lost.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted