Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding velocity in terms of variables

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (See attached for labels) After taking off, a helicopter climbs in a straight line at a constant angle beta. Its flight is tracked by radar from point A. Determine the speed of the helicopter in terms of d, beta, theta, and theta dot.

d is the distance from the radar to the initial position of the copter, theta is the angle between the horizontal and the copter, v is the velocity, and beta is the angle the copter moves at.

2. Relevant equations

v = (r dot) e radius + (r * (theta dot))e theta

e radius is the radial component and e theta is the angular component...This is done in polar form. So for those who know, it's the velocity equation in polar form.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, it's asking for the speed, so I know I have to take the radial and angular components, square them, add them, and take the square root (or so I assume). I was also able to split the velocity into vsin(beta) and vcos(beta). Otherwise, I'm lost.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted