Retarded time calculations: Electrodynamics

In summary, the amount of energy radiated due to acceleration in this time interval is $E=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} dt \ a(t_r)^2$.
WWCY

Homework Statement

A positive charge ##q## is fired head-on at a distant positive charge ##Q## that is held stationary. It comes in at speed ##v_0## and comes to an instantaneous halt at distance ##r_f## away from Q. What is the amount of energy radiated due to acceleration in this time interval? Assume ##v_0<<c##

Homework Equations

Larmor's formula for power incident over a constant ##R## surface over the charge, at time ##t##.
$$P(t) = \frac{\mu_0 q^2 a(t_r)^2}{6 \pi c}$$
where ##t_r = t - R/c## is the retarded time

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Brief sketch:

Acceleration is ##a \sim 1/r^2##, but can also be written as ##a(t_r) \sim 1/r(t_r)^2##, which means that retarded acceleration is a function of retarded position at time t (call it ##r'(t)##), and so ##a(t_r) \sim 1/r'(t)^2##. Energy collected across a constant ##R## surface from ##t \in [t_1, t_2]## is
$$E \sim \int_{t_1}^{t_2} dt \ a(t_r)^2$$
where integral variable ##dt## refers to the present time. But ##a(t_r) = a(r'(t))##
$$E \sim \int_{r'(t_1)}^{r'(t_2)} dr' \ \frac{dt}{dr'} \ a(r')^2$$
I'm not sure how right I have been so far, but I start to get confused here with the new limits and change of variables.

I'm guessing that ##r'(t_1) = \infty## while ##r'(t_2)## is set at the distance of closest approach ##r_f##, which seems to make sense; the power you receive at ##t_1## should be the power released from the retarded position at ##t_1##. Ditto for ##t_2##

As for ##\frac{dt}{dr'}##, ##\frac{dr'(t)}{dt}## seems to be the rate of change of retarded position, which is the retarded velocity ##v'(t)##, and its relation to ##r'##can be obtained via the law of energy conservation. Finally,
$$E \sim \int dr' \ \frac{1}{v'(r')} \ a(r')^2$$

Does any of this make sense? Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
$$E \sim \int_{t_1}^{t_2} dt \ a(t_r)^2$$
where integral variable ##dt## refers to the present time. But ##a(t_r) = a(r'(t))##
Finally,
$$E \sim \int dr' \ \frac{1}{v'(r')} \ a(r')^2$$

Does any of this make sense? Many thanks in advance.
I think it is OK. I believe the integration is easier if you choose the integration variable to be the retarded velocity ##v(t') \equiv v'##. Note ##dE_{rad} = Pdt = P\frac{dt}{dv'}dv' = \frac{P}{a'}dv'##

But, if you want to stick with integrating with respect to ##r'##, it's not too bad.

This problem came up a few years ago
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/energy-radiated-from-a-charge-in-electric-field.771453/

However, in your problem you are calcuating the total energy that eventually crosses a fixed spherical surface of large radius R. The energy that crosses the surface at time t depends on what the charge was doing at the retarded time.

In that other thead, the calculation adds up the energy emitted during each infinitesimal time ##dt##. It does not make use of retarded time or of a fixed surface at large distance. I think the two calculations yield the same result.

Cheers, thanks for taking the time! I'll give the thread you mentioned a read.

1. What is retarded time in electrodynamics?

Retarded time in electrodynamics is a concept that takes into account the finite speed of light when calculating the effects of electric and magnetic fields. It refers to the amount of time it takes for information about a change in the fields to propagate to a given point in space.

2. How is retarded time calculated in electrodynamics?

Retarded time is calculated using the formula t = t' - |r - r'|/c, where t is the retarded time, t' is the current time, r is the position of the source of the fields, r' is the position of the point in space where the fields are being observed, and c is the speed of light.

3. Why is it important to consider retarded time in electrodynamics?

It is important to consider retarded time because it allows for more accurate predictions of the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Without taking into account the finite speed of light, calculations would not match up with experimental observations.

4. Are there any practical applications of retarded time calculations in electrodynamics?

Yes, there are several practical applications of retarded time calculations in electrodynamics. For example, it is used in the design of antennas, radar systems, and other communication technologies. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in space.

5. What are some potential limitations of using retarded time calculations in electrodynamics?

One potential limitation is that it assumes that the speed of light is constant, which may not always be the case in certain environments. It also does not take into account other factors that may affect the propagation of electric and magnetic fields, such as interference or scattering. Additionally, it may become more complex to calculate in situations involving multiple sources or complex geometries.