Finding voltage across current source

In summary: IIn summary, the conversation discusses a circuit analysis homework problem and suggests using mesh analysis or nodal analysis to solve it. The conversation also mentions finding a relation between unknowns and simplifying the equations.
blakshay

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=59326&stc=1&d=1370510014.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 2,806
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi blakshay.

You need to make a start with this, before we can see where you are having trouble in order to help. Section 2 and Section 3 in the template are there for you to fill in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
I have no idea what to do...I know all the node voltage analysis, mesh currents and all that stuff but I'm not sure where to start for this one

Just as the current across a voltage source depends on the Impedance connected to it, the voltage across a current source depends on impedence connected to it. I would recommend the MESH Analisis. You should get the answer easily.

Yeah I tried that but I ended up wit the 3 unknowns i1, i2 and i3 and also V1 and V2...cant really go further

Hint: Try to find a relation between i1, i2 and i3. Have a closer look at the circuit!

blakshay said:
Yeah I tried that but I ended up wit the 3 unknowns i1, i2 and i3 and also V1 and V2...cant really go further

Show your attempt. If you've ended up with so many unknowns, something went wrong or you're missing some simplification opportunities.

(I might also suggest, if you're interested, that a nodal analysis approach would also work very well indeed, as there's only one node to worry about...)

Likes 1 person
blakshay said:
Hey,
I have no idea what to do...I know all the node voltage analysis, mesh currents and all that stuff but I'm not sure where to start for this one
If you are really new to circuit analysis, then I suggest that for the moment you shelve all that theory, and just write down whatever relations you can see in the circuit. By the time you are done, you should have enough equations and unknowns to be able to solve it.

For starters, where a current of I flows through the 5Ω resistor, then the current through the 10Ω must be ...

Is it:
(a) 2I
(b) I
(c) 5I
(d) ...

1. What is a current source?

A current source is an electronic component that provides a constant electrical current to a circuit, regardless of changes in voltage or resistance. It is represented by the symbol I in circuit diagrams.

2. How do you find the voltage across a current source?

To find the voltage across a current source, you can use Ohm's Law which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). You can also use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law which states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the sum of all voltage sources in that loop.

3. Why is it important to find the voltage across a current source?

It is important to find the voltage across a current source because it allows you to understand and analyze the behavior of the circuit. It can also help in determining the power dissipated by the current source and ensure that the circuit is operating within safe limits.

4. Can you find the voltage across a current source using a multimeter?

Yes, you can find the voltage across a current source using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to measure DC voltage and connect the positive lead to the positive terminal of the current source and the negative lead to the negative terminal. The multimeter will display the voltage across the current source.

5. What factors can affect the voltage across a current source?

The voltage across a current source can be affected by changes in the resistance in the circuit, changes in the current flowing through the circuit, and changes in the voltage supplied by the current source. Other factors such as temperature and noise can also have an impact.