1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding voltage across current source

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    attachment.php?attachmentid=59326&stc=1&d=1370510014.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi blakshay. [Broken]

You need to make a start with this, before we can see where you are having trouble in order to help. Section 2 and Section 3 in the template are there for you to fill in.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 6, 2013 #3
    Hey,
    I have no idea what to do...I know all the node voltage analysis, mesh currents and all that stuff but I'm not sure where to start for this one

5. Jun 6, 2013 #4
    Just as the current across a voltage source depends on the Impedance connected to it, the voltage across a current source depends on impedence connected to it. I would recommend the MESH Analisis. You should get the answer easily.

6. Jun 6, 2013 #5
    Yeah I tried that but I ended up wit the 3 unknowns i1, i2 and i3 and also V1 and V2...cant really go further

7. Jun 6, 2013 #6
    Hint: Try to find a relation between i1, i2 and i3. Have a closer look at the circuit!

8. Jun 6, 2013 #7

gneill

Show your attempt. If you've ended up with so many unknowns, something went wrong or you're missing some simplification opportunities.

(I might also suggest, if you're interested, that a nodal analysis approach would also work very well indeed, as there's only one node to worry about...)

9. Jun 6, 2013 #8

NascentOxygen

If you are really new to circuit analysis, then I suggest that for the moment you shelve all that theory, and just write down whatever relations you can see in the circuit. By the time you are done, you should have enough equations and unknowns to be able to solve it.

For starters, where a current of I flows through the 5Ω resistor, then the current through the 10Ω must be ......

Is it:
    (a) 2I
    (b) I
    (c) 5I
    (d) ....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted