1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fir filter (need help fast)

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    in an FIR filter how do you remove the linear phase introduced by windowing?
    also if the phase is non linear how can the distortion be minimized?
    could someone please reply asap i badly need help with this. thanx
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. This sounds like homework, so I moved it from the general EE forum to the appropriate homework forum.

You need to show us a little more of your own work and thoughts in order for us to help you. For example, what effect does the length of the filter have on the distortions you are asking about? Why does length affect the distortions? What method are you using to calculate the FIR coefficients, and why use that method over others?
  4. Feb 4, 2007 #3
    it's alright . i found the answer. apparently you just need to advance the signal before sending it through the filter. that way the delay of the filter cancels out with the advance and your signal ends up back at time zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?