First Formulation of Second Law as F=ma ?

In summary, Descartes was the first to put the law into modern form, and Euler later developed it further.
j_wendt
First Formulation of Second Law as "F=ma"?

Newton expressed his Second Law of Motion as
The change of motion is proportional to the motive force impressed; and is made in the direction of the right line in which that force is impressed.
.Who was the first to put it into the modern form F=ma? Was it Descartes?

Science news on Phys.org
Descartes died when Newton was 7... In fact, according to Harris Benson, Newton's first law is due to Descartes!

quasar987 said:
Descartes died when Newton was 7... In fact, according to Harris Benson, Newton's first law is due to Descartes!

1650,exactly.Born in 1596.Newton was born on Christmas Day 1642,according to the Julian Calendar,7th of January 1643 according to the Gregorian one.

I never heard of this Harris Benson,but maybe he should have asked Galileo Galilei as well.I believe it's his law.

Daniel.

Benson is the author of 3 non-calculus based physics book. They are generally a very good introduction to the subject imo.

Don't worry, he also mentions Galileo's leading role in the formulation of the first law by quoting "Two new sciences":

"A body stays in motion at constant speed on an horizontal plane without friction."

However, the second law as we know it is more recognizable in the extension of this principle to all bodies, and not just those moving on an horizontal plane without friction. :smile: On this topic, Descartes wrote:

"A body which is not under an exterior influence moves in a straight line at regular speed."

... And then Newton really just replaced the vague expresion "under an exterior influence" by the somewhat less vague "force". :smile:

quasar987 said:
However,the second law as we know it is more recognizable in the extension of this principle to all bodies, and not just those moving on an horizontal plane without friction. :smile: On this topic, Descartes wrote:
"A body which is not under an exterior influence moves in a straight line at regular speed."
... And then Newton really just replaced the vague expresion "under an exterior influence" by the somewhat less vague "force". :smile:

Does that make any sense to you??I think u probably meant the first law. :wink: The second speaks about the variation of momentum under nonnull resulting exterior forces.

Daniel.

I don't know about its history, but I have the impression that the "modern formulation" that you mention is, instead, the watered-down version tailored for non-calculus courses, where the mass is almost always assumed constant.

j_wendt said:
Newton expressed his Second Law of Motion as .Who was the first to put it into the modern form F=ma? Was it Descartes?
I believe it was Euler. Max Jammer calls F=ma "Euler's forumation" in his book Concepts of Mass in Contemporary Physics and Philosophy.

Pete

Thanks for the reference, Pete. The book is online at Amazon; I may have to spend the $10 D/L it. The first few pages look interesting.

The index is also at Amazon, but it doesn't seem to mention Euler.

John

It indeed Euler[/URL] , Mechanica, 1736.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to First Formulation of Second Law as F=ma ?

1. What is the First Formulation of the Second Law of Motion?

The First Formulation of the Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. Who came up with the First Formulation of the Second Law of Motion?

The First Formulation of the Second Law of Motion was developed by Sir Isaac Newton in his famous work, Principia Mathematica.

3. Can you provide an example of the First Formulation of the Second Law of Motion?

Yes, for example, if you push a toy car with a small force, it will have a small acceleration. But if you push the same toy car with a larger force, it will have a greater acceleration.

4. How is the First Formulation of the Second Law of Motion related to the concept of inertia?

The First Formulation of the Second Law of Motion is related to the concept of inertia because it explains that objects at rest will remain at rest and objects in motion will continue to move at a constant speed in a straight line unless acted upon by an outside force.

5. Are there any exceptions to the First Formulation of the Second Law of Motion?

No, the First Formulation of the Second Law of Motion is a fundamental law of physics and has been extensively tested and confirmed in various experiments. It applies to all objects, regardless of their size or shape, as long as they are not affected by external factors such as air resistance.