First Friedmann Equation forms

In summary, the first Friedmann equation is used to describe the evolution of the universe and can be written as: (\frac{\dot{a}}{a})^2=\frac{8\pi G\rho}{3}-\frac{kc^2}{a^2}+\frac{\Lambda}{3}. For a closed universe with only non-relativistic matter and no cosmological constant, the Friedmann equation can be written in terms of the Hubble parameter, H(a), the current Hubble constant, H0, the current scale factor, a0=1, and the current matter density parameter, Ω0. However, the exact form of this equation is still unclear and further calculations and understanding are needed to
dillingershaw

Homework Statement

the first friedmann equation is:
([itex]\frac{\dot{a}}{a})^2[/itex]=[itex]\frac{8\pi G\rho}{3}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{kc^2}{a^2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\Lambda}{3}[/itex]
In the case of a closed Universe (k > 0) containing only non-relativistic matter and no cosmological constant, write the Friedmann equation in terms of, H(a), H0, a and Ω0 (where Ω0 is the current matter density parameter). Assume that the current scale factor, a0 = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far what I have is:
H(a)2=H02Ω0-[itex]\frac{kc^2}{a^2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\Lambda}{3}[/itex]
I've seen things like
H(a)2=H02[[itex]\Omega_0\frac{a}{a_0}[/itex]+1-[itex]\Omega_0[/itex]]

but I have no explanation for this and so can't tell if it's right.

Physics news on Phys.org
usyd student? if so try lecture 7 slide 12 ;)
I'm not sure about solving the fluid equation for p=0 - apparently its a seperable integral or something, but i think you can use what's provided on slides without proof. From there I think you are just trying to draw a relationship between the flat universe when k=0 and this closed universe for some k>0. For me, it is very time consuming to understand and show working.

I don't fully understand how we can create a single form of Friedmann for a closed universe by using flat universe equations for density, etc. Very confusing.

1. What is the First Friedmann Equation?

The First Friedmann Equation, also known as the Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker equation, is a mathematical equation used in cosmology to describe the expansion of the universe. It relates the rate of expansion (Hubble parameter) to the energy density and pressure of the universe.

2. Who created the First Friedmann Equation?

The First Friedmann Equation was independently developed by Alexander Friedmann and Georges Lemaître in the 1920s. It was further refined by Howard Robertson and Arthur Walker in the 1930s, hence the name Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker equation.

3. How is the First Friedmann Equation derived?

The First Friedmann Equation is derived from the equations of general relativity, specifically Einstein's field equations. It incorporates the cosmological principle, which states that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on a large scale, and assumes a perfect fluid model for the universe.

4. What is the significance of the First Friedmann Equation?

The First Friedmann Equation is significant because it allows us to understand how the universe has evolved over time. By solving the equation, we can determine the past and future expansion of the universe, as well as the critical density needed for the universe to be flat.

5. How does the First Friedmann Equation relate to the Big Bang Theory?

The First Friedmann Equation is a key component of the Big Bang Theory. It describes the expansion of the universe as predicted by the theory and provides evidence for the universe's early rapid expansion. It also helps to explain the observed cosmic microwave background radiation left over from the early universe.