First law of a thermodynamic system

In summary, the conversation discussed an equation with variables and the answer of -280J that was originally derived. However, the correct answer was supposed to be 123.3J. The solution was found by considering the energy balance of the piston and the gas separately and taking into account the work done by the gas on its surroundings and the volume expansion work. The potential energy of the air does not change and the mg(0.2) term is part of the work done by the air on its surroundings. The conversation also mentioned the importance of considering the work done by the air in pushing back the surrounding atmosphere.
maitake91
Homework Statement
Heat is transferred through the wall of a vertical cylinder to air trapped inside it by a frictionless piston of mass 10kg and radius 0.05m. When 300J of heat is transferred to the air the piston rises by 0.2m against the atmospheric pressure of 100kPa. Determine the change in internal energy of the trapped air when 300J is transferred and the piston rises 0.2m.
Relevant Equations
(Qin - Qout)+(Win - Wout)+(Emassin - Emassout) = ∆U+∆KE+∆PE
After crossing out all the variables which I think equals 0 in the equation, I was left with:
∆PE + ∆U = Qin
mg (0.2) + ∆U = 300
10*9.81*0.2 - 300 = - ∆U
= -280J

This was the answer I derived. However, the correct answer was supposed to be 123.3J. Please can someone explain to me how to get the correct answer and where I did wrong? This may not be relevant but the pressure of the trapped air was worked out in earlier questions, which equals to 11240Pa.

Attachments

• スクリーンショット 2020-09-20 5.52.00.png
    スクリーンショット 2020-09-20 5.52.00.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 174
Physics news on Phys.org
The potential energy of your "system" (the air) does not change. The mg(0.2) is part of the work that the air does on its surroundings. Also, as Kyouran points out, you omitted the additional work the air does in pushing back the surrounding atmosphere.

I deleted my previous post to try and make it more helpful. Sometimes it helps to break up the system into 2 parts. In this case, consider the energy balance of the piston alone and the energy balance of the gas (without the piston alone). Note that the gas does work onto the piston (what is this equal to?) and in addition, the gas also performs work as its volume expands (volume expansion work).

Kyouran said:
I deleted my previous post to try and make it more helpful. Sometimes it helps to break up the system into 2 parts. In this case, consider the energy balance of the piston alone and the energy balance of the gas (without the piston alone). Note that the gas does work onto the piston (what is this equal to?) and in addition, the gas also performs work as its volume expands (volume expansion work).

Thank you for your kind explanation, I was able to get it right this time! XD

Likes berkeman
Chestermiller said:
The potential energy of your "system" (the air) does not change. The mg(0.2) is part of the work that the air does on its surroundings. Also, as Kyouran points out, you omitted the additional work the air does in pushing back the surrounding atmosphere.
Thank you for you help, that cleared a lot things up!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics apply to thermodynamic systems?

The First Law of Thermodynamics applies to thermodynamic systems by stating that the total energy within a closed system remains constant. This means that any changes in the system's internal energy can be attributed to energy transfer or conversion, rather than creation or destruction.

3. Can the First Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed systems. Violating this law would require the creation or destruction of energy, which is not possible according to our current understanding of the universe.

4. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics relate to the concept of work?

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy can be transferred or converted, but not created or destroyed. This means that any work done on a system must be accounted for in terms of energy transfer or conversion, and the total energy within the system will remain constant.

5. What is an example of the First Law of Thermodynamics in action?

An example of the First Law of Thermodynamics in action is a car engine. The chemical energy in the fuel is converted into heat energy through combustion, which is then converted into mechanical energy to power the car. The total energy within the system (the car) remains constant, but the form of energy changes throughout the process.