Steady flow energy equation in Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation is about finding help on deriving the steady flow energy equation and understanding how it would change for an unsteady system. The person is struggling to find resources online to help them understand these types of questions and is seeking assistance in completing the question in order to prepare for exams. Textbooks such as Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics and Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics are recommended as sources for understanding these concepts.
Ben_Walker1978
Homework Statement
steady flow energy equation
Relevant Equations
First law
I am looking for help on the following:

a) Given the system shown in the figure below, derive the steady flow energy equation from first principle.

b) Again using first principles, show how the energy equation would change for the case when the system is unsteady.

g2TQT.png

I am trying to learn this for upcoming exams.

But i can find nowhere on line which breaks down this sort of question. Which means i can't understand how to complete these sort of questions.

Can anyone help me complete this question please? So i can get an understanding of these types of questions.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The only sources I know are textbooks. See Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics by Moran et al and :Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith and Van Ness.

Likes Twigg

1. What is the steady flow energy equation in thermodynamics?

The steady flow energy equation in thermodynamics is a mathematical representation of the conservation of energy principle for a steady flow process. It relates the changes in internal energy, kinetic energy, potential energy, and flow work of a fluid to the heat and work interactions with the surroundings.

2. How is the steady flow energy equation derived?

The steady flow energy equation is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. It also takes into account the energy changes due to fluid flow and gravitational effects.

3. What are the assumptions made in the steady flow energy equation?

The steady flow energy equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, there is no heat transfer across the system boundaries, and there are no changes in potential energy. It also assumes that the flow is steady, meaning that the properties of the fluid do not change with time.

4. How is the steady flow energy equation used in engineering applications?

The steady flow energy equation is used in engineering applications to analyze and design thermodynamic systems, such as power plants and refrigeration systems. It helps engineers understand the energy balance of a system and make informed decisions to improve efficiency and performance.

5. Can the steady flow energy equation be applied to all thermodynamic systems?

No, the steady flow energy equation is only applicable to steady flow processes, where the properties of the fluid do not change with time. It cannot be used for unsteady or transient processes, where the fluid properties change over time.