1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order circuits. Solving for v(t)

1. Oct 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So our lecture introduced first order circuits to us.
    We are trying to solve for v(t) in the following circuit. However in the notes he gets it into a form in which we can solve for v(t). However I can't seem to get it into the same form he has. This is more of a maths question rather than a circuits question.

The purpose of writing it in the form that he has is to solve for v(t). Any ideas how I can get it into that form?

054f0907b2.jpg

2. Relevant equations

i(t) = C dv(t)/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

In Pic above

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Presumably E is a constant here?

The derivative of a function is unaffected if you first add (or subtract) a constant value to the function,
    so it follows that d(v(t))/dt is identical to d(v(t)–E)/dt

It looks like your lecturer might be finding it convenient to use this fact in his derivation of v(t)?

the derivative of a sum is equal to the sum of the individual derivatives

4. Oct 31, 2016 #3
    Ah. That makes much more sense. I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. Thank you very much,

5. Dec 14, 2016 #4
    Hi,

I've just come back to revise this after properly I think understanding dynamic circuits. I am told that in the DC steady state(i.e when the source is providing a steady voltage), capacitors behave as open circuits and inductors behave as short circuits. So why doesn't that happen in this case(where E is constant).? I mean the circuit is providing a constant V and so the time derivative in i = C dv/dt should evaluate to 0 thus giving us i=0 which is an open circuit. Why don't we just replace the capacitor with a open circuit here?

6. Dec 14, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You can. If you do that it will tell you that the steady-state current is zero, which is true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted