First order circuits. Solving for v(t)

• Engineering
  • Thread starter CoolDude420
  • Start date

Homework Statement

So our lecture introduced first order circuits to us.
We are trying to solve for v(t) in the following circuit. However in the notes he gets it into a form in which we can solve for v(t). However I can't seem to get it into the same form he has. This is more of a maths question rather than a circuits question.

The purpose of writing it in the form that he has is to solve for v(t). Any ideas how I can get it into that form?

054f0907b2.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
i(t) = C dv(t)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In Pic above

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Presumably E is a constant here?

The derivative of a function is unaffected if you first add (or subtract) a constant value to the function,
so it follows that d(v(t))/dt is identical to d(v(t)–E)/dt

It looks like your lecturer might be finding it convenient to use this fact in his derivation of v(t)?

the derivative of a sum is equal to the sum of the individual derivatives

Presumably E is a constant here?

The derivative of a function is unaffected if you first add (or subtract) a constant value to the function,
so it follows that d(v(t))/dt is identical to d(v(t)–E)/dt

It looks like your lecturer might be finding it convenient to use this fact in his derivation of v(t)?

the derivative of a sum is equal to the sum of the individual derivatives
Ah. That makes much more sense. I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. Thank you very much,

Hi,

I've just come back to revise this after properly I think understanding dynamic circuits. I am told that in the DC steady state(i.e when the source is providing a steady voltage), capacitors behave as open circuits and inductors behave as short circuits. So why doesn't that happen in this case(where E is constant).? I mean the circuit is providing a constant V and so the time derivative in i = C dv/dt should evaluate to 0 thus giving us i=0 which is an open circuit. Why don't we just replace the capacitor with a open circuit here?

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Why don't we just replace the capacitor with a open circuit here?
You can. If you do that it will tell you that the steady-state current is zero, which is true.