Understanding First Order Linear Differential Equations: Solving and Simplifying

In summary: Can you please continue?In step 2 they integrate both sides, but I don't see any integration of the left side. I have a feeling that they are moving the d/dx to the right side, if so, what happens to the d?There's nothing omitted from the first step. It's simply a fact that if you take the derivative of the left hand side of the second equation, you get the left hand side of the first equation. Take the derivative (using the product rule) to confirm this.I'm having trouble taking the derivative of \frac{1}{x^3} - \frac{3}{x^4}y If you let y
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-05-15at42824PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand in step one why the three in the numerator disappears. I also don't understand why dy/dx becomes d/dx. the book just says left side is d/dx(v*y), a lot of help that is. how do you go to two fractions with x^3 and x^4 to one fraction with x^3 in the numerator.

In step 3 they integrate both sides, but I don't see any integration of the left side. I have a feeling that they are moving the d/dx to the right side, if so, what happens to the d?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a first-order linear ODE, and usually, the method of solving this is by multiplying throughout by an integrating factor.

I know that but i still don't understand how they get from steps 1 to 2 to 3

I confirm. It's exactly the same method, except that some of the intermediary steps have been omitted from your example.

You should re-arrange the linear ODE into its standard form. Then, find the integrating factor.

well i don't know what those intermediary steps are. if i did i wouldn't have posted the question.

The solution will reveal itself if you work it out and you will see the corresponding lines from your example.

To standardize your linear ODE, multiply by [itex]x^3[/itex]:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+\left(\frac{-3}{x}\right)y=x[/tex] Can you continue from here?

I don't see how that step is legal. number two, I don't see how that gets me from step 1 to step 2.

robertjford80 said:
I know that
I thought you knew how to solve a first-order linear ODE.

Continuing from my post #6. From the standardized linear ODE form:
[tex]P(x)=\frac{-3}{x}
\\Q(x)=x[/tex]
The integrating factor:
[tex]\mu (x)=e^{\int P(x).dx}=\frac{1}{x^3}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d(\mu y)}{dx}=\mu Q[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d(\frac{1}{x^3} y)}{dx}= \frac{1}{x^2}\; ...\;Step\;2[/tex]
Steps 3 and 4 are obvious.

robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-05-15at42824PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand in step one why the three in the numerator disappears. I also don't understand why dy/dx becomes d/dx. the book just says left side is d/dx(v*y), a lot of help that is. how do you go to two fractions with x^3 and x^4 to one fraction with x^3 in the numerator.

In step 3 they integrate both sides, but I don't see any integration of the left side. I have a feeling that they are moving the d/dx to the right side, if so, what happens to the d?

There's nothing omitted from the first step. It's simply a fact that if you take the derivative of the left hand side of the second equation, you get the left hand side of the first equation. Take the derivative (using the product rule) to confirm this.

I'm having trouble taking the derivative of

[tex]\frac{1}{x^3} - \frac{3}{x^4}y [/tex]

I get

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\big(\frac{x-3}{x^4}\big)y [/tex]

If I take the derivative of that I'm not going to get the next step in the book, so I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited:
robertjford80 said:
I'm having trouble taking the derivative of

[tex]\frac{1}{x^3} - \frac{3}{x^4}y [/tex]
Well, that's your problem- you do NOT take the derivative of that. You want to integrate it.

I get

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\big(\frac{x-3}{x^3}\big)y [/tex]

If I take the derivative of that I'm not going to get the next step in the book, so I must be doing something wrong.[/QUOTE]
The derivative of [itex]y/x^3[/itex], using the quotient rule, is
[tex]\frac{y'x^3- y(3x^2)}{(x^3)^2}= \frac{y'}{x^3}- \frac{3y}{x^4}[/quit]
which is exactly what you want.

i realize this is basic algebra but I don't see to get

[tex]\frac{y}{x^3} [/tex]

If you let y = 2 and x = 2 you get

[tex]\frac{1}{x^3} - \frac{3y}{x^4} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{16} - \frac{3*2}{16} = \frac{-2}{8} [/tex]

whereas with

[tex]\frac{y}{x^3} [/tex]

if you let y = 2 and x = 2 you get

[tex]\frac{2}{8} [/tex]

There's something about the negative sign that I'm missing.

1. What is a first order linear differential equation?

A first order linear differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It is called "linear" because the function and its derivative appear only in the first degree.

2. How do you solve a first order linear differential equation?

To solve a first order linear differential equation, you must first separate the variables by moving all terms involving the derivative to one side of the equation and all other terms to the other side. Then, you can use an integrating factor to solve for the function.

3. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a constant that can be multiplied to both sides of a first order linear differential equation in order to make it easier to solve. It is typically found by taking the exponential of the integral of the coefficient of the derivative.

4. Can a first order linear differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a first order linear differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the equation may have multiple integrating factors, resulting in different solutions depending on the choice of integrating factor.

5. What are some real-life applications of first order linear differential equations?

First order linear differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model various systems and processes. Some examples include population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits.