Fission Chain Reaction: Is it Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of matter undergoing fission, citing examples such as nuclear reactors and weapons. The topic then shifts to the sustainability of fission and the use of radionuclides. Ultimately, it is concluded that while fission can release a lot of power, it always results in an explosion and is not sustainable for long periods of time.
kdrdgn07
I'm wondering that is it possible? I mean, certain radioactive matter can undergo fission? Sure I know half-life and radioactive decay. This question is asked roughly. I just learn is it possible? Thank you for answers

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done any reading about fission? Why would you doubt it? The hundreds of nuclear reactors in operation around the world, as well as the many nuclear fission bombs that have been exploded should be proof that, yes, matter can undergo fission.

phyzguy said:
Have you done any reading about fission? Why would you doubt it? The hundreds of nuclear reactors in operation around the world, as well as the many nuclear fission bombs that have been exploded should be proof that, yes, matter can undergo fission.

I don't mean it. I mean, Can any matter undergo fission consistenly when I stopped? I'm reading some books about nucleer physics but I'm rookie. I don't have enough information

kdrdgn07 said:
I don't mean it. I mean, Can any matter undergo fission consistenly when I stopped? I'm reading some books about nucleer physics but I'm rookie. I don't have enough information

"I"?

Likes kdrdgn07
kdrdgn07 said:
I'm glad you stopped undergoing fission, and I hope you get to feeling better soon. :smile:

SteamKing said:
I'm glad you stopped undergoing fission, and I hope you get to feeling better soon. :smile:
Damn :D You know what ı wanted to say :D Why you are trolling bro :D Damn. :D

I can't speak for SteamKing, but personally I have no idea what you wanted to say. Seriously.

kdrdgn07 said:
Damn :D You know what ı wanted to say :D Why you are trolling bro :D Damn. :D
No, I don't know what you are trying to say. Frankly, it doesn't make any sense.

Really, I guess I don't know what I wanted to say Bro I don't know how I can explain that. I want to do like a chain nuclear bomb but Imagine that It's not bursting. Just occurring energy

kdrdgn07 said:
Really, I guess I don't know what I wanted to say Bro I don't know how I can explain that. I want to do like a chain nuclear bomb but Imagine that It's not bursting. Just occurring energy
You mean a controlled chain reaction, like what happens in a nuclear power plant?

It's major part of my project I can't explain sorry. But I need help about this issue. I don't know very well. Can we speak as private?

Either you have to keep it private - then you should not write about it in messages to random strangers - or not, then you can discuss it here.

Likes kdrdgn07
mfb said:
Either you have to keep it private - then you should not write about it in messages to random strangers - or not, then you can discuss it here.
Thank you but are you expert about this issue?

kdrdgn07 said:
I'm reading some books about nucleer physics but I'm rookie. I don't have enough information

Hmmmm... rookie in what mean? rookie in physics or rookie in nuclear physics? In case of nuclear physics you can find an enormous # of introductory books either online or on sale.
Either way; a bomb is a bomb because it explodes [releases a great amount of energy in that short time]... afterall the explosion is that release of energy...
So envisioning to build a bomb that doesn't explode is senseless... not to say dangerous if you are a rookie on any field... especially if you are a rookie in physics, your vision could be from a childish dream up to a potential danger to yourself and the people around you [especially playing with radioactive material]. Humans are not supposed to let themselves subject to extra radiation from radioactive sources and certain dose-limits are set depending on your "job". Money is also a thing. If your project is not a personal thing but part of an academic research, where I believe the safety measures will be ensured by the institute or collaboration, you can ask for guidance from your supervisor/coordinator.

Last edited:
Likes kdrdgn07 and berkeman
Thank you, you are right. I'm rookie in nuclear physics. I just wanted to learn that is it possible. And they said it is possible. Thank you all of you.

Guys please. He doesn't know English very well. Are you using Google Translate?

It is possible for nuclear fission chain reactions to take place. They happen every day in Nuclear Reactors. However, these reactions can go out of control and nuclear disasters can occur.

Likes kdrdgn07
Trontor said:
Guys please. He doesn't know English very well. Are you using Google Translate?

It is possible for nuclear fission chain reactions to take place. They happen every day in Nuclear Reactors. However, these reactions can go out of control and nuclear disasters can occur.
Thank you my bro.

kdrdgn07 said:
Thank you, you are right. I'm rookie in nuclear physics. I just wanted to learn that is it possible. And they said it is possible. Thank you all of you.
Releasing a lot of power without an explosion is possible, nuclear reactors do that (with a power of the scale of GW = 109 W). Releasing much more power always gives an explosion, which ends the reaction quickly. Nuclear weapons have typical powers of 1021 to 1025 W, but just for a few microseconds.

Likes kdrdgn07
mfb said:
Releasing a lot of power without an explosion is possible, nuclear reactors do that (with a power of the scale of GW = 109 W). Releasing much more power always gives an explosion, which ends the reaction quickly. Nuclear weapons have typical powers of 1021 to 1025 W, but just for a few microseconds.
So, is it sustainable? ı mean, can it be done nonstop? with only one radionuclides? i know half-life and other things, its simply consideration.

Thread is closed for Moderation...

Thread will remain closed. We have answered the OP's question as best as we are able to.

1. What is a fission chain reaction?

A fission chain reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy and neutrons in the process. These neutrons can then go on to split other atoms, resulting in a chain reaction.

2. Is it possible to control a fission chain reaction?

Yes, it is possible to control a fission chain reaction through the use of control rods, which absorb excess neutrons and regulate the rate of the reaction. This is how nuclear power plants are able to generate electricity without the reaction spiraling out of control.

3. What is required for a fission chain reaction to occur?

In order for a fission chain reaction to occur, a sufficient amount of fissile material (such as uranium-235) must be present, as well as enough neutrons to sustain the reaction. The neutrons can come from spontaneous fission or can be induced through a process called neutron bombardment.

4. Can a fission chain reaction be used for weapons?

Yes, a fission chain reaction can be used to create nuclear weapons. By rapidly releasing a large amount of energy in a short period of time, nuclear weapons are able to cause massive destruction.

5. What are the dangers of a fission chain reaction?

The main danger of a fission chain reaction is the release of large amounts of radiation. This can be harmful to living organisms and the environment if not properly contained or controlled. The handling and disposal of nuclear waste products is also a concern when dealing with fission chain reactions.