Flash freezing the brain

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1
    I've seen online that you can get a handful of your ashes sent into space for a hefty fee1 and it got me thinking... Would it be possible when dead to flash freeze the brain and send it up into space in a radiation proof container and just allow it to travel through space like the voyagers do?

Or would it eventually melt and decay ect? The reason I ask is because when you're dead, your dead as far as we know so I thought what is there to lose if someone wanted to send their brain into space and who knows, in a billion years an alien race might find it, defrost it without damaging it and somehow restore it or transfer it's memories onto a computer or something.

Obviously this seems somewhat farfetched and probably impossible but I thought I was ask why this would or wouldn't be possible. The biggest concern is the brain defrosting over time.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is the temperature in space?

4. Feb 3, 2014 #3
    ~2.7K so I'm guessing it won't melt but is 2.7K cold enough so that decay won't occur?

5. Feb 3, 2014 #4
    Yes, what you have to worry about is sublimation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted