Flight Mach number in terms of fuel flow rate and other parameters

In summary, the individual is seeking help with finding a formula for manipulating equations in order to develop the performance envelope of a turbojet engine for an aerospace analysis project. They have tried solving the problem by hand and using MATLAB, but have not been successful. They have posted their work and are hoping someone can identify any errors in their understanding. They also mention meeting with their professor and discovering a mistake in the formula.
roldy
I've posted on here in relation to an aerospace analysis project I'm doing. I'm stuck on one part of the project where I need to develop the performance envelope of the turbojet engine. 3 of the 9 plots that are required are Thrust vs. Mach number. On each of those plots I'll about 7 different lines that correspond to different fuel flow rates. My professor suggested to me that I find what the resulting mach number would be with a prescribed fuel flow rate and the other parameters of [tex]P_0, T_o, \pi_c, \eta_c, \dot{m}_{corr,2}[/tex] that is stated in the problem.

What's important here is the manipulation of equations to arrive at something I can use. I've tried solving this by hand and using MATLAB various times but no luck. I'm hoping that if I post my work here someone can see if I made an error in my understanding of this.

Work:

[tex]
\dot{m}_fh=\dot{m}_aT_{t2}\left(\frac{T_{t4}}{T_{t2}}-\tauc{\tau_r}\right)
[/tex]
[tex]
\tau_c=1 + \frac{\pi_c^{\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma}}-1}{\eta_c}
[/tex]
[tex]
\tau_r=1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2
[/tex]
[tex]
T_{t2}=T_0\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{T_{t4}}{T_{t2}}=\left(\frac{compdesignline}{turbdesignline}\right)^2
[/tex]

[tex]
\dot{m}_a=\frac{P_{t2}}{P_{stp}}\frac{\dot{m}_{corr,2}}{\sqrt{\frac{T_{t2}}{T_{stp}}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
P_{t2}=P_0\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)
[/tex]

The Work:

Plug in the equations for [tex]\dot{m}_a, T_{t2}, \frac{T_{t4}}{T_{t2}}, \tau_c, \tau_r[/tex]

[tex]
\dot{m}_fh=\frac{P_{t2}}{P_{stp}}\frac{\dot{m}_{corr,2}}{\sqrt{\frac{T_{t2}}{T_{stp}}}}T_0\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)\left(\left(\frac{compdesignline}{turbdesignline}\right)^2-\left(1 + \frac{\pi_c^{\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma}}-1}{\eta_c}\right)\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)\right)
[/tex]

Now I rewrite the radical as something I can deal with easier and substitute in for [tex]P_{t2}[/tex], and [tex]T_{t2}[/tex]. Shown in two steps

[tex]
\dot{m}_fh=\frac{P_0\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)}{P_{stp}}\frac{\dot{m}_{corr,2}\sqrt{T_{stp}}}{\sqrt{T_{t2}}}}}T_0\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)\left(\left(\frac{compdesignline}{turbdesignline}\right)^2-\left(1 + \frac{\pi_c^{\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma}}-1}{\eta_c}\right)\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\dot{m}_fh=\frac{P_0\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)}{P_{stp}}\frac{\dot{m}_{corr,2}\sqrt{T_{stp}}}{\sqrt{T_0\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)}}}}T_0\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)\left(\left(\frac{compdesignline}{turbdesignline}\right)^2-\left(1 + \frac{\pi_c^{\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma}}-1}{\eta_c}\right)\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)\right)
[/tex]

Now I collect the constants and call them some variable and name stuff in parenthesis a variable (the ones that don't have Mach number).

Let
[tex]
A=\frac{P_0\dot{m}_{corr,2}\sqrt{T_{stp}}T_0}{P_{stp}\sqrt{T_0}}
[/tex]
[tex]
B=\left(\frac{compdesignline}{turbdesignline}\right)^2
[/tex]
[tex]
C=1 + \frac{\pi_c^{\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma}}-1}{\eta_c}
[/tex]
[tex]
D=\dot{m}_fh
[/tex]

Then
[tex]
D=A\frac{\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)}{\sqrt{\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)}}\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)\left(B^2-C\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2\right)\right)
[/tex]

And now letting
[tex]
E=1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}{M_0}^2
[/tex]

[tex]
D=A\frac{E^2}{E^{\frac{1}{2}}}(B^2-CE^2)
[/tex]

Simplifying

[tex]
D=AE^\frac{3}{2}(B^2-CE^2)
[/tex]

Multiplying out

[tex]
D=AB^2E^\frac{3}{2}-ACE^{\frac{7}{2}}
[/tex]

To get rid of the 1/2 power I let [tex]F=E^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]
D=AB^2F^3-ACF^7
[/tex]

Now I want to solve this for F, since F is a function of E and E is a function of [tex]M_0[/tex]...which is what I need.

Here's the MATLAB code I used to try and solve this along with the result

EDU>> syms A B C D F
EDU>>
EDU>> D=A*B^2*F^3-A*C*F^7

D =

A*B^2*F^3-A*C*F^7

EDU>> solve(D,F)

ans =

(B/C^(1/2))^(1/2)
-(B/C^(1/2))^(1/2)
i*(B/C^(1/2))^(1/2)
-i*(B/C^(1/2))^(1/2)

EDU>>

This is not what I need. I'm looking for a formula that as all the variables in it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I placed it in wolfram alpha and got

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP1140019edbg4a1641h8h90000698bi1b8b7cf9c68?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=42&w=147&h=49

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP1140219edbg4a1641h8h9000067b4gbfgde9c66ee?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=42&w=155&h=49

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP1140419edbg4a1641h8h9000026e611fehai60fdh?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=42&w=37&h=20

Reference

This simply means A has no bearing on the solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually met with the professor and come to find out, the formula had a mistake in it. There was a term dependent on [tex]M_0[/tex] that wasn't suppose to be in there. I got the solution now. Thanks for the reply though and the effort.

viscousflow said:
I placed it in wolfram alpha and got

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP1140019edbg4a1641h8h90000698bi1b8b7cf9c68?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=42&w=147&h=49

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP1140219edbg4a1641h8h9000067b4gbfgde9c66ee?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=42&w=155&h=49

[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP1140419edbg4a1641h8h9000026e611fehai60fdh?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=42&w=37&h=20

Reference

This simply means A has no bearing on the solution.

Red x's? wolfram alpha generates red x's?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the link directly from the site, meaning it was temporary. Click the reference link I placed there to see what was there.

viscousflow said:
I used the link directly from the site, meaning it was temporary. Click the reference link I placed there to see what was there.

Ah! Thank you. :)

What is the Flight Mach number?

The Flight Mach number is a dimensionless unit that represents the ratio of the speed of an object to the speed of sound in the medium through which the object is traveling. It is often used in the field of aeronautics to describe the speed of an aircraft.

How does the Flight Mach number affect fuel flow rate?

The Flight Mach number can have a significant impact on the fuel flow rate of an aircraft. As the Flight Mach number increases, the air density decreases, causing the engine to consume less fuel. However, at higher Mach numbers, the engine may need to increase the fuel flow rate to maintain the required thrust.

What other parameters can affect the Flight Mach number?

Aside from air density, the Flight Mach number can also be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and altitude. For example, at higher altitudes, the air density decreases, which can result in a higher Flight Mach number.

How is the Flight Mach number calculated?

The Flight Mach number is calculated by dividing the speed of an object (in meters per second) by the speed of sound (in meters per second) in the same medium. The resulting value is a dimensionless unit that represents the ratio of the two speeds.

Why is the Flight Mach number an important parameter in aviation?

The Flight Mach number is an important parameter in aviation because it affects the performance of an aircraft. It can impact the fuel efficiency, aerodynamics, and overall speed of the aircraft. Pilots must be aware of the Flight Mach number to ensure safe and efficient flight operations.