1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[fluid dynamics] are they trying to use the ideal gas law for LIQUIDS?

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    In my course they're using the equality [itex]U = \frac{p}{\alpha \rho}[/itex] with alpha some constant (U = internal energy per mass, p = pressure, rho = density). They explicitly derive it for an ideal gas yet later apply it to a liquid (in the context of deriving the Navier-Stokes energy equation). Seems pretty unfounded... However, is there perhaps a reason we should expect such an equation to hold in more general cases?

NB: to see it follows from the ideal gas law, note that [itex]p = \rho \beta T[/itex] for some constant beta, and that [itex]U = \gamma T[/itex] (note that U is energy per mass, i.e. up to a constant energy per particle [itex]\propto k_B T[/itex])

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2
    OK for any fluid you need an equation of state connecting P, V & T, which you can solve and differentiate for one in terms of the other two eg

[tex]dV = {\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P}dT + {\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T}dP[/tex]

For liquids in particular, Engineers commonly tabulate two quantities thus

The Volume Expansivity

[tex]\beta = \frac{1}{V}{\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P}[/tex]

Isothermal Compressibility

[tex]\kappa = - \frac{1}{V}{\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T}[/tex]

Putting these definitions into the above equation leads to

[tex]\frac{{dV}}{V} = \beta dT - \kappa dP[/tex]

For an incompressible fluid both β and κ are zero.

Now to link to ordinary thermodynamics

[tex]dH = TdS + VdP[/tex]

and

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial H}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P} = {C_P} = T{\left( {\frac{{\partial S}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P}[/tex]

and (Maxwell)

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial S}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = - {\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P}[/tex]

Combining

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial H}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = V - T{\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_P}[/tex]

Insert engineering definions

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
    {\left( {\frac{{\partial S}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = - \beta V \\
    {\left( {\frac{{\partial H}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = \left( {1 - \beta T)V} \right) \\
    \end{array}[/tex]

Also

[tex]U = H - PV[/tex]

differentiate at constant temp

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial U}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = {\left( {\frac{{\partial H}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} - P{\left( {\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} - V[/tex]

Thus inserting engineering definitions

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial U}}{{\partial P}}} \right)_T} = \left( {\kappa P - \beta T} \right)V[/tex]

There is more if you want it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  4. Jul 19, 2012 #3
    Sorry I seem to be missing your point. How does this answer my question?

5. Jul 19, 2012 #4
    Are we not talking abou the same quantities, beta and kappa?

I just thought you'd appreciate some background.

6. Jul 19, 2012 #5
    For an incompressible fluid there is no equation of state connecting P, V & T since V is constant.

For small compressibility it is common to integrate the fourth equation in my first post to yield

[tex]\ln \left( {\frac{{{V_2}}}{{{V_1}}}} \right) = \beta \left( {{T_2} - {T_1}} \right) - \kappa \left( {{P_2} - {P_1}} \right)[/tex]

7. Jul 19, 2012 #6
    The alpha's, beta's, gamma's I'm using are just symbols I used since I didn't want to specify what constants they were.

My question was if there is a justification for [itex]U \propto \frac{p}{\rho}[/itex] in a liquid.

8. Jul 19, 2012 #7
    Well if you think about it, if the liquid is incompressible then density = a constant.

However the energy changes must go somewhere and the basic equation of energy balance in a flowing fluid is

[tex]\frac{D}{{Dt}}\left( {U + KE} \right) = P + Q[/tex]

if u is the internal energy per unit mass

[tex]u = U\left( {\rho dV} \right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{{DU}}{{Dt}} = \rho V\frac{{du}}{{dt}}[/tex]

depending upon conditions you can use this in the energy balance to obtain a relationship between U, P and T

Is this what you are after?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook