Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Fluid Dynamics Bernoulli

1. Feb 1, 2017 #1
    pressure.png
    Can someone smarter than I, please express p1 and p2 in terms of f, or v and r?

The pump pushes out water at f rate which creates velocity v in the bigger pipe. When the water comes to the restriction velocity increases while flow rate is conserved. Bernouli tells us that the change in velocity requires a change in dynamic pressure to conserve the energy. However, I can't seem to figure out how dynamic pressure translates into the static pressures which are measured by the "head" which would be developed in both pressure measure tubes. I can't seem to translate the negative pressure changes given by Bernouli equations into dynamic and total pressures which would appear in the measure tubes. Tube on the left would have a higher water level than the tube on the right.

If someone can, please show me. I am a computer programmer writing a liquid simulator for my employer for a very specific application. Thank you so much for anyones help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2017 #2
    Question like this will be closed if you do not show your work.

4. Feb 1, 2017 #3
    Dear https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/fluid-dynamics-bernoulli.902341/members/buffu.606620/ [Broken],

I'm not sure what adversity you feel you are protecting the forum from, but I worked on this problem all work day. I must be missing something stupid and simple, but I can't find it and I hope someone knows what I am missing. I attached pics of all my work today

IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG http://jerrywickey.com/emails/IMG_00010.JPG http://jerrywickey.com/emails/IMG_00011.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. Feb 2, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The two vertical tubes are really just pressure gauges . Omit them initially and solve the primary problem of flow in the two horizontal pipe sections . When you've done that you can go back and find the column heights in the vertical tubes which will balance the calculated pressures in the horizontal pipe sections .

6. Feb 2, 2017 #5
    Yes they are, but I don't know how to solve for pressure absolute or gauge given flow rate. I can find only the the pressure differential which is a negative value. I need to know the gauge pressure. i.e. How high will the pressure push the water in the vertical tubes.

7. Feb 2, 2017 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are conditions at the final outlet of small pipe ? Is the flow just draining freely into the open air or is continuing into further equipment which could generate a back pressure ?

8. Feb 2, 2017 #7
    it drains into ambient pressure water. The same pressure water from which the stream began with a pump

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted