Fluid dynamics vs Electrodynamics

In summary,If you could only do one, you would choose electrodynamics. This is because it is more in line with what you are doing, and it is easier to learn than fluid dynamics.

Which subject?

• Fluid Dynamics

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Electrodynamics

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
pivoxa15
If you could only do one which one would you choose? And why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrodynamics. Its more in line with what I'm doing.

fluid dyanamics. Its more in line with what I'm doing.
geeez i don't even know what they teach in electrodyanamics

pivoxa15 said:

Obviously, no can answer that without understanding in what context the question is asked.

yes i agree. there are lots and lots of conditions affecting one's choice

pivoxa15 said:
I'd do both. I don't like arbitrary choices.

Why would one have to choose one or the other.

A mechanical or aerospace engineer would choose fluid dynamics since that is part of MechE or AeroE.

A physicist would choose either depending on interest. A plasma physicist would probably do both.

A EE would choose electrodynamics. Someone interested in electronics or electrical engineering would find electrodynamics of more use than fluid dynamics.

i am doing fluid dynamics actually

for straight-up physics, electrodynamics.

seems like fluid mechanics has been phased out of the american physics undergrad curriculum, so you won't be seen as deficient for not having taken it.

now, if you're in engineering, that's a different ball game.

I've heard they use the same maths but fluid mechanics would be more intuitive so might be better to do it prior to electrodynamics. But the problem is on the appearance of it, it seems so boring which is not a good thing to say but that how I feel. I can only fit one of the two though.

If I had to choose, electrodynamics. The physical processes behind fluid dynamics, while evidently complicated, are intuitive - the only challenge is familiarity with the mathematics. Electrodynamics is likely to involve a lot more head-scratching. I'd much rather brush up on fluid dynamics by myself later on than electrodynamics, which I'd much rather be taught by someone competent.

I had to take both. I picked fluids just because it applies more the the fields I am interested in, Heat transfer and aerodynamics.

Stay away from fluid mechanics and take Aerodynamics using Andersons book. There are a ton of Junk Fluid Mechanics books out there.

SRode said:
I had to take both. I picked fluids just because it applies more the the fields I am interested in, Heat transfer and aerodynamics.

How would you compare against the two? Which was harder to learn?

I found the electrical classes harder because when i started them I hadn't even gotten to multivariable calc and it didn't get a good grip of the fundamental E&M derivations. Fluids was easier because by then I had finished all my undergrad math requirements, and the calculations were not so challenging.

The decision should come down to two things. Who's the professor, and which one do you have more interest in. If you take the class with someone who is competent in the field, and who you can follow their lecture you should do well in either. However, you need to evaluate your overall career goal as to what field you want to specialize in.

Not sure what point in your academic career you are at, but I hope that helped.

Continuum modeling is Continuum modeling. The physics is different, but ALL the governing equations are based on fields. If you understand the general field equations you can do both. Simple things to keep in mind: a gradient of a scaler is a vector no matter which area you do, and most importantly: momentum, mass, charge, and energy always balance.

Modey3

Related to Fluid dynamics vs Electrodynamics

1. What is the difference between fluid dynamics and electrodynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of the motion and behavior of fluids, such as liquids and gases, while electrodynamics is the study of the interactions between electric and magnetic fields. Essentially, fluid dynamics deals with the movement of matter, while electrodynamics deals with the movement of electromagnetic energy.

2. Which field has more practical applications: fluid dynamics or electrodynamics?

Both fluid dynamics and electrodynamics have numerous practical applications. Fluid dynamics is used in fields such as aerospace engineering, oceanography, and meteorology, while electrodynamics is used in fields such as electrical engineering, telecommunications, and particle physics.

3. Are there any similarities between fluid dynamics and electrodynamics?

While fluid dynamics and electrodynamics may seem like very different fields, there are some similarities between them. Both fields use mathematical models, equations, and simulations to study and predict behavior. Additionally, both fields have applications in engineering and play a role in understanding natural phenomena.

4. Which field is more complex: fluid dynamics or electrodynamics?

Both fluid dynamics and electrodynamics can be very complex depending on the specific problems being studied. However, electrodynamics tends to involve more advanced mathematics, such as vector calculus and differential equations, making it generally more complex than fluid dynamics.

5. Can fluid dynamics and electrodynamics be studied together?

Yes, there are areas of study where fluid dynamics and electrodynamics intersect and can be studied together. For example, plasma physics is a field that combines both fluid dynamics and electrodynamics to study the behavior of ionized gases. Additionally, some research areas, such as magnetohydrodynamics, involve the study of the combined effects of both fluid flow and electromagnetic fields.