1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Equation (Cosmology)

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The fluid equation in cosmology is given as:

[tex]\dot{\epsilon}[/tex] + 3*([tex]\dot{a}[/tex]/a)*([tex]\epsilon[/tex]+P) = 0

Where [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the energy density and a(t) is a scale factor.

Using the equation of state, P = w*[tex]\epsilon[/tex], show how [tex]\epsilon[/tex] change with a(t).

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\dot{\epsilon}[/tex] + 3*([tex]\dot{a}[/tex]/a)*([tex]\epsilon[/tex]+P) = 0
    P = w*[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I can solve for the equation to the point where I re-arrange it to look like this:

[tex]\dot{\epsilon}[/tex]/[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = -3*(1+w)*([tex]\dot{a}[/tex]/a)

I do not know how to proceed from here. I know that this equation is supposed to end up like this,

[tex]\epsilonw(a)[/tex] = [tex]\epsilonw,0[/tex]*a-3*(1+w)

but I do not know how to get to this point. Can someone assist me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2
    can someone take a look at this? i'm pretty sure its a simple operation that i'm failing to realize.

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    bump?

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4
    You have your equation
    [tex] \frac{\dot\epsilon}{\epsilon} = -3(w+1)\frac{\dot a}{a} [/tex]
    From here you can eliminate the time-dependence
    [tex] \frac{d\epsilon}{\epsilon} = -3(w+1)\frac{da}{a} [/tex]
    and this is a differential equation involving just [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and [tex] a[/tex] you can solve by integrating both sides

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook