Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Flow out of a Liquor Bottle

1. Jun 6, 2014 #1

d_v

I was working on a project for which I was considering letting a liquid flow out of a bottle rather than pump it out, but I know that the flow rate changes as the height of the fluid within the container changes, which is an issue. I then remembered that bartenders count time to measure their pours. I can't see any way this is remains accurate as the bottle becomes more empty. I could only imagine that they make small, unconscious adjustments as this happens.

Can anyone see any way that the flow rate may remain constant out of a liquor bottle for varying heights of the liquor?
    (I found this page to be a good resource: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bernouilli-equation-d_183.html)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Good observation. You should get a bottle, any old bottle, and upend it and see what happens.

Note:
    Bar bottles usually have a special nozzle
    poured measures are not very accurate even if the bartender is counting time.
    (Ask yourself - how accurate does it need to be?)

A fluid may flow at a constant rate out a hole if there is something else restricting the flow.
    Consider - there is the weight of the liquid above the hole, the air pressure, and the viscosity of the fluid.
    The flow is likely to be uneven if the air has to push its way through the liquid to get into the bottle ... if the air cannot get into the bottle, the flow will slow and stop.

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And remember, you are in a bar, not a lab, where different protocols are supposed to apply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook